chicmom

Dances with Chickens
10 Years
Feb 24, 2009
Strasburg Ohio
Hello fellow BYCrs!

First time ever, I've got a fly problem! They are buzzing around everywhere, and this is my third summer. I've got fresh sand in my runs, and I go out once a day and "poop scoop". I've noticed alot of flies and I really do keep the poop down to a minimum. I've even seen them fly and land on my chicken's feathers. My flock is 11 in the big hen house, and 8 chicks in the A-frame coop. This really confuses me.

It's not stinky out there, so what's up with the flies?

What products do you use to control them?

Thank you,
Sharon

aggie9296

Songster
8 Years
Jan 28, 2011
Panama City, FL
DE seems to cut down on the flies around here. Some one even talked about the little tree air fresheners. Vanilla, I believe, is supposed to ward them off.

geebs

Lovin' the Lowriders!
11 Years
Sep 28, 2008
feed through de

Last edited:

al6517

Real Men can Cook
11 Years
May 13, 2008
DE does work well for fly control however it won't eliminate them, I use DE and then place fly pheremone traps in the big coop and the flies are not a problem. Flies will allways make a huge reapperance after a heavy rain.

suzettex5

Songster
10 Years
May 26, 2009
California
DE seems to work well around here, but not entirely by any means. I read a thread somewhere here (cant remember for the life of me which it was or the title, sorry) but it said something about some kind of sticky, NON-toxic fly board that the flies would stick to, and then the chickens would pick them off as a treat (yeah,
I know) but I guess it kept them ( the chickens) busy and helped keep flies down a bit.

I think its pretty much impossible to live fly-free though.

Top Bottom