Flies! Arg!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chicmom, May 30, 2011.

1. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello fellow BYCrs!

First time ever, I've got a fly problem! They are buzzing around everywhere, and this is my third summer. I've got fresh sand in my runs, and I go out once a day and "poop scoop". I've noticed alot of flies and I really do keep the poop down to a minimum. I've even seen them fly and land on my chicken's feathers. My flock is 11 in the big hen house, and 8 chicks in the A-frame coop. This really confuses me.

It's not stinky out there, so what's up with the flies? [​IMG]

What products do you use to control them?

Thank you,
    Sharon

2. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    DE seems to cut down on the flies around here. Some one even talked about the little tree air fresheners. Vanilla, I believe, is supposed to ward them off.

3. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    feed through de

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    DE does work well for fly control however it won't eliminate them, I use DE and then place fly pheremone traps in the big coop and the flies are not a problem. Flies will allways make a huge reapperance after a heavy rain.

5. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    DE seems to work well around here, but not entirely by any means. I read a thread somewhere here (cant remember for the life of me which it was or the title, sorry) but it said something about some kind of sticky, NON-toxic fly board that the flies would stick to, and then the chickens would pick them off as a treat (yeah, [​IMG] I know) but I guess it kept them ( the chickens) busy and helped keep flies down a bit.

I think its pretty much impossible to live fly-free though.

6. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by