Flies, Flies, Flies, and MORE flies!! Please help

I had the same problem. I tried the vanilla scented trees and fly traps. I just ended up with a vanilla smelling yard with lots of flies. :) I finally decided to try the food grade DE. It's working great so far for me. I have cut the fly population down by at least 75%.

Something going around Facebook recently that you could put water & a few pennies in a ziplock bag & hang up to deter flies. Said that sunlight would reflect like prisms & the flys couldn't see....something like that

My girls have the fly thing figured out and it is absolutely hysterical to watch them. One will poop then they all stand back and when the flies come they attack them. Then another poops and they repeat the process!!!

I had really bad flies and here is what worked for me. Fly bags are great but remember they are an attractant and have to be paced to draw the flies away from your coops otherwise you end up with all the flies in the neighborhood. They get expensive too and really gross when the flies inside started to breed abd the larva crawled out. I tried fly predators and did not notice any difference and that was really expensive. I use DE and that helps alot but must be refreshed with the shavings and does not stay in sand. The best I have come up with is Golden Malrin in a little poop in shallow pans placed straticily to draw AWAY the flies and of course you must practice excellent coop maintainance. My birds are not free ranged because I live in the city so I spendlaot of time raking and changing litter/ I also made my own automatic feeders and waterers because wet chicken feed seems to smell the worst and attract more flies than poop. Hope this helps. I am not fly free, especially after big rains, but they are under control and do not bother the neighbors. Now, Golden Malrin is great for larger predators too, like racoons and possems, just saying....

I tried the gold "marlin" as you call it. Its more of a pain trying to find a place to deploy it which the chickens don't have access to and therefore is safe from eating it.

I also tried the disposable trap from Tractor Supply which comes in the plastic dome. I thought it was safe from tip-over and spillage, however my birds proved that wrong by getting spooked near it and running into it. Nothing like stinky fly juice on concrete...

The best luck I've had so far is w/ the hanging disposable fly traps from Home Depot. Cut the plastic, pull out the entry port, fill w/ water, and hang in proximity to the problem area. The trap said 3-5 hours to activate and work, but it was pulling flies within an hour. Noticeably less flies over the past couple days. It smells just as bad as the latter mentioned TSC trap, however is doing a better job. I think I spent a few bucks on it.

bdc1ffd2-9ec6-4061-92d9-8a036b8a74b3_300.jpg

Back
Top Bottom