Flies in run and coop

DET

Hatching
May 8, 2021
We relocated our 3 chickens from one home to another and I've noticed a tremendous number of flies in the run and coop. We never had these flies at this home before we brought the chickens over.

The run is about 10 feet by 10 feet, plus a small indoor run. The run is mostly pebbles, mulch, sandy soil, and pine needles/cones. The chickens are digging and turning over the soil all day every day. We rake it level every few days (they dig deep!!!). There is a massive fir tree that shades the area so it stays quite dry regardless of the weather. When it does get wet, there is never standing water or mud and given how loose and rocky the soil is, it drains instantly. We keep pine shavings within the indoor run/coop and it stays super dry as well. Everything gets ventilated with any amount of breeze and we have no foul smells.

I know the flies are attracted to the poop but most of the discussions on here about flies say that the problem is wetness. But our run and coop stay so darn dry and it's been unusually dry here lately (Portland, OR). So I don't think it's moisture.

Any ideas what to do? Thanks in advance!

IMG_5043.jpeg

IMG_5044.jpeg

What kind of flies are they? I have used the cone fly traps but had Buffalo flies around my run. They can’t be gotten rid of with fly traps like regular flies can.

Oh my goodness. This may be one of my favorite topics of all time. The Big Stinky Fly Trap. It's a basic plastic container with a specially designed screw on top that lets the flies in but they can't figure out how to get out. They sell a pheromone type product that speeds up the attraction process but you can just put a piece of frost bitten raw meat from your freezer or raw scraps from dinner in it without the product and make sure there's enough water to cover it at all times. That just takes a couple more days. As the meat rots, it attracts flies like nothing doing. That thing is beyond effective. And really gross when it fills up. Despite its name, it doesn't really smell. Do hang it up though if you have dogs or cats that might want to get at it.

:welcome :frow I have had issues with flies in and around my coops. I had a mite issue quite awhile back and flies. I sprayed inside of the coops with permethrin. To my surprise it not only eliminated the mites but also the flies. What a pleasure it was to walk into a coop and not being bombarded with flies. I sprayed weekly for about a month for the mites but it also worked on the flies. I put poultry dust in the nest boxes. Good luck...

Attachments

• Martin'sPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    Martin'sPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 25
  • PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 25
  • PermethrinSpray.jpg
    PermethrinSpray.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 21
  • PoultryDust0.25.jpg
    PoultryDust0.25.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 23
Thanks everyone for the advice for this newcomer to the forum! I think I will try the fly trap.

Is the permethrin safe to use? Most of the issues are in the run so I'd have to spray it everywhere. Doesn't seem quite right to me. thanks again!

Thanks everyone for the advice for this newcomer to the forum! I think I will try the fly trap.

Is the permethrin safe to use? Most of the issues are in the run so I'd have to spray it everywhere. Doesn't seem quite right to me. thanks again!
I should have said that the problem / source may not be on your property. We live near-ish a barn on a commercial property that came under new management and suddenly had a problem where we didn't before. It could be anything. Something that died on a neighbor's property, a septic or sewer drain issue, anything. Then they come on over for the chicken poop after they have bred elsewhere. We ran the traps for about two years total then it all pretty much went away. Now I have a bunch of traps in the basement . . .

Chuck some road kill in the yard nearby or put in a bucket somewhere so flies can make maggots to give to chooks.

If ya don't want em round there's prob some type of plant/tree that gives off a scent to shew em away that they don't like, give it a Google.

I should have said that the problem / source may not be on your property.
That makes sense to me honestly. I just can't see what we're doing wrong to attract so many of them. I'm also wondering if it's just a springtime thing? Only time will tell for that thought though.

Back
Top Bottom