Flies keep biting my chickens!

I'm speaking to the OP, and to you. They may know of something more effective, or with enough people calling, they may step up spraying larger areas for them.

This time of year, I regularly spray the coop, patio furniture with diluted permetherine. This seems to keep all the bugs under control. I don't have experience with all types of flies but I do know it works well for my coop.
I spray my coops regularly with permethrin spray. I get the concentrate and mix it with water in a sprayer. It will kill the bugs but not the bugs eggs so I do a weekly spray for awhile and eventually cut back.

I'm speaking to the OP, and to you. They may know of something more effective, or with enough people calling, they may step up spraying larger areas for them.

Idk if OP has been able to spray at all yet and in Michigan i bet they dont have regular sprayings like you and i do. In FL tho they have to spray each evening right? Out here in LA they do and when i brought my hen in for necropsy within a wk the city came n sprayed my whole street and extra time on foot. Really cool of them tryn to help protect us.

I spray my coops regularly with permethrin spray. I get the concentrate and mix it with water in a sprayer. It will kill the bugs but not the bugs eggs so I do a weekly spray for awhile and eventually cut back.

This is great info! I figured as much because of how many times ive had to spray. i kno the rainfall is a big factor. I kno ima jus keep spraying, ive finally been able to take my little humans outside to play once this wk.

Wow I can't believe that your guys' countys actually do that! I've been using vanilla mixed with a little water for the flies it only helps a little. we have a big yard so spaying the whole thing is outa question (money wise). As for asking my extension office we've tried before and they honestly don't know anything about chickens. I'm planning to at least spray the coop with permethrin if the flies keep up the barrage.

-Roostie

You may want to give the dried basil a try. I get mine from Costco, or Sam's club in the big containers. You don't have to put it down too heavy. I didn't believe it would work, until I tried it. It's not instant, but within a day, you will notice a big difference. 2 days, and you won't be seeing any flies. AND the coop, and run will smell really nice too. Reapply as needed.

Back
Top Bottom