Flies taking over yard, need a solution asap

RosemaryDuck

Crowing
Dec 15, 2020
Florida
Hey all. So being in Florida, pretty much every pest on the planet comes out once it gets warm/hot.

The duck yard has recently become infested with flies. I clean out the yard fully twice a week, have traps set up & don't leave any excess food out.

Nothing seems to be helping, and now one of my neighbors is complaining that they're in her garage & back porch. I really don't want to get on anyone's bad side here so would like a way to get rid of these flies as soon as I can.

Any advice?

Unfortunately, keeping ducks requires water, and it's moist conditions that breed flies. So controlling the moisture is key. Your humidity doesn't help, but focusing on the wet areas and keeping things as dry as possible so poop doesn't remain moist to support maggots will help a lot.

In other words, it's not the flies, it's the maggots since that's where all the flies originate. Twice a week isn't often enough to clean up the wet accumulations of poop. It must be done daily, or even more often than that.

Unfortunately, keeping ducks requires water, and it's moist conditions that breed flies. So controlling the moisture is key. Your humidity doesn't help, but focusing on the wet areas and keeping things as dry as possible so poop doesn't remain moist to support maggots will help a lot.

In other words, it's not the flies, it's the maggots since that's where all the flies originate. Twice a week isn't often enough to clean up the wet accumulations of poop. It must be done daily, or even more often than that.
Thank you, I'll do a comb over of the yard every day. I usually do anyway, but I don't physically pick out the maggots and everything/fully clean like I do twice a week.

I did also order fly predators, so hopefully that will help as well!

I have these around and they work pretty well. I was amazed at the amount of flies they catch. Just put them where nothing can get to them except the flies because they are very sticky. Good luck...

Attachments

• FlyRoll.jpg
    FlyRoll.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom