Flies!

Driley62

Songster
Jun 8, 2021
Chazy, NY
Holy crap flies!

We had a small heat wave for this time of year in the low to mid 90's a week ago. It also just happened to be the weekend that I recruited a few friends to help me build our birds new coop that's larger to accommodate new comers here very soon and also make it more user friendly for myself, my wife and child(ren) when my second one comes along October(ish) and he comes of age to walk around and enjoy the chickens. But very shortly after the build, the fly population exploded in the run! While we spent the day building away we kept the flock in a tractor that I hate and want to get rid of so they didn't fall victim again to another fox.

When I did that did I give the flies an opportunity to grow from the larval stage? How can I get rid of them? Last few times I went to the coop and walked by the run they all take flight like a flock of birds in the African savanna!

Side note** Before I did the new build, the fly population was next to non existent. Maybe one or two but not dozens of them.

Last edited:
:welcome :frow I had an issue with mites. I sprayed inside my coops everywhere, every crack and crevice with permethrin. I used the concentrate and a sprayer with a wand so I could reach the hard to reach areas. To my surprise it also eliminated the flies. I did weekly treatments for the mites for a month because it doesn't kill the pests eggs so repeat treatments are necessary as the pest eggs hatch. I also put up some sticky paper (fly roll) which when the flies land on it they can't get off. I just have to be careful to put it where the birds can't get to it. Permethrin also comes in premixed sprays. There are a lot of different options on the market today. That is what worked best for me and I have tried a few different ways.
I have to change the paper daily but it catches a lot of flies.

Attachments

• FlyRoll.jpg
    FlyRoll.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210605_103004.jpg
    20210605_103004.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
:welcome :frow I had an issue with mites. I sprayed inside my coops everywhere, every crack and crevice with permethrin. I used the concentrate and a sprayer with a wand so I could reach the hard to reach areas. To my surprise it also eliminated the flies. I did weekly treatments for the mites for a month because it doesn't kill the pests eggs so repeat treatments are necessary as the pest eggs hatch. I also put up some sticky paper (fly roll) which when the flies land on it they can't get off. I just have to be careful to put it where the birds can't get to it. It also comes in premixed sprays. There are a lot of different options on the market today. That is what worked best for me and I have tried a few different ways.
I have to change the paper daily but it catches a lot of flies.
Didn't think of permethrin! I have the small fly rolls and forgot about them slightly. Was concerned about placing one or two in the coop/run thinking of a girl coming in contact with them. Do they shed water well? My issue is mostly in the run. I think I've seen one fly inside the coop since I started keeping chickens

This is for permethrin 10. I use the 0.50% solution.
Permethrin-10.jpg

Attachments

• Permethrin10Concentrate.jpg
    Permethrin10Concentrate.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 3
  • PermethrinSpray.jpg
    PermethrinSpray.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 2
  • PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 3
Didn't think of permethrin! I have the small fly rolls and forgot about them slightly. Was concerned about placing one or two in the coop/run thinking of a girl coming in contact with them. Do they shed water well? My issue is mostly in the run. I think I've seen one fly inside the coop since I started keeping chickens
I had flies in my coops. It was a pain to go in to fill the feeders and be bombarded with flies. They are attracted to sweat and in the summer heat out come the flies, at least here in Florida.

I'll remember this thanks! Will the flies go away on their own over time or will they get worse with time? That was something else I was curious about lol
I don't have an issue in the winter months but when the heat comes so do the flies.

I had flies in my coops. It was a pain to go in to fill the feeders and be bombarded with flies. They are attracted to sweat and in the summer heat out come the flies, at least here in Florida.
I'm pretty sure the heat brings out the flies everywhere🤣 living in farm country in northern ny I have to have fly/wasp traps set on my front porch(door we use during spring, summer and fall) or else our house is full of both regular, horse and deer flies. We also have a wasp nest near our front door that I can't seem to locate.

It said in the news America is in the middle of a fly “plague”. I tried using one of those hanging bag ones…it stunk soooo bad..but caught thousands of flies…BUT ATTRACTED MORE

Back
Top Bottom