flies

waw

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 12, 2011
Mississippi
lately there has been about 1000000 black flies flying around my chickens and when i picked one of the chickens up and killed some of the flies i noticed that they were sucking my chickens blood and making there waddles scab over and look horrible
what are they and what to do

I've used vanilla scented Christmas tree car air fresheners as recommended by others in deterring flies. I hung a few in the pen and garage. They seemed to work well deterring flies. Sand in the pen also deters insects and keeps everything dry. I've used sticky fly strips as well, just have to hang them high enough so a curious chicken wont jump up and get tangled in one...had it happen lol.

How much sweet pdz should I put in the coop? I have a small 4x4 coop, 4 hens. I am using a mix of shavings and pellets in the coop. I already have some DE but the flies are still awful. Can I put the DE or PDZ in the run too or would it be a waste?

Vanilla Car Fresheners?? O wow I hope this works!!! I am sick of flies, not bad in the coop but awful around the patio and porch. . . Go figure. It might be, because we keep our rubber yard/coop boots by the door. IDK, but we bought several things from the FEED STORE that were recommended, that did nothing. I planted basil, mint, and lemon balm around the coop, I read it some where that it might help with flies. . . .they are not bad so maybe it does. I added a few herb boxes on the patio yesterday, but I am going to get air freshener tomorrow!!! Thanks Dawg53.

Back
Top Bottom