1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

flighty chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sam40, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Sam40

Sam40 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2010
    I incubated and hatched 5 silver laced wyandotte's they are now just over 3 weeks old. They are so flighty and nervous, they hide and panic when i go near the brooder or change water and add food. Any advise please, will they settle soon???

2. DawnM

DawnM Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2010
    Tacoma, Wa
    Every chick I have ever had has been like that. They usually settle down a lot after they start laying. Before that they scream bloody murder and run in a panic every time they see you coming.

1 person likes this.
  3. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Even at 2 weeks, mine loved to see me coming - since I was the one who brought treats. When young, the treats ere earthworms, dandelions or chopped leftover chicken. They still come running when they see me. I can't handle them very well yet, but now at 4 weeks, I can sort of pet them.

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I've had two batches of Wyandottes, and no matter how much handling they had as chicks, they all grew up to be stand-offish. I think it's just the way this breed is.

That said, I discovered this summer that I could increase the tameness of baby chicks by having the brooder up on a table so that I could approach the chicks from the side rather than dive down on them from above. All chicks instinctively fear anything coming down upon them from over-head.

If you can't modify your brooder in this way, then try to scoop your hand in down the side and then under them. But it helps a lot for them to see that a human is attached to the big hand. It really does make all the difference in how flighty or tame your chicks will be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by