flighty little things.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jeremy, May 22, 2008.

1. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    i just got 8 silver laced wyandotte chicks about 4 weeks ago, and unlike the delaware chicks i started raising 2 months ago the little silver laced act like wild birds. every time i approach the brooder they go cracy. flapping and cheeping like i'm a giant monster trying to eat them.

i was just wondering if there was any way to aid in "taming" your chickens. eventually when the girls are all big enough they'll free range together out back, and don't want the silver laced to scatter whenever we enter the run.

suggestions? [​IMG]

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Give them treats several times a day. Move slowly and hold a treat out for them to get. They will eventually calm down and become curious and approach your hand. After a few tries they will (hopefully) eat out of your hand. Then they will start to associate you with food and become more tame.

3. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    Is this a common trait with Wyandottes? I just ordered a couple. I am hoping they will be friendly.

4. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    My SLW were the same way. They are almost 13 weeks now and they come running with the rest when I enter the back yard and also eagerly come up and eat out of my hand. In fact all of them think I should ALWAYS have something for them to eat when I appear. One of my SLWs is a roo and he was the most friendly of my SLWs since chickiehood. They are beautiful and curious birds, but also cautious. Give them time and attention.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by