Flimsy run with a secure henhouse?

kidmoab

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 22, 2008
Davis Ca
I've seen some wimpy fences around some of the runs around my house. I know that it's easier to build a fence just to keep the girls in and fortify the henhouse for security after dark. That's what I've done any way. We have some huge (bigger than my dog) raccoons that live in the storm drains on my block, but I only see them at night in the winter.

Any way: any one got $.02?

I wouldn't be so sure you will only see them at night if you have hens in your yard. In theory they would only be out at night, but one never knows. The henhouse must be secure either way. As far as your run goes predators come in all shapes and sizes, during night and day, during winter and summer. You should build your run as secure as possible if you are worried about losing birds. I built mine super secure so it would take a big bear to get into it. I will not lose a bird to some stupid racoon. The other thing to consider is what if you are not home to lock them inside right at dark. Good Luck!

Those are some mighty healthy coon you have there and they must be eating well! I initially live-trapped to eliminate the problem. I then installed an electric fence around the perimeter of my run and coop. I have not lost a bird since doing so - prior to that I had lost eight birds. (Six in one night!) I ran three strands spaced at 5-inch intervals. I'm not sure if they (the predators) hear the pulse of the fence and stay away or if they tried their luck and had a shocking revelation and or awakening, bringing about the realization that this is not the pen to mess with? Either way - I have eliminated the problem. I purchased all the material at our local farm supply. (Blaine’s Farm & Fleet) I had never had an electric fence prior to this and told the sales clerk my problem. – She showed me everything I needed to purchase to secure my feathered friends. Maintenance - I do have to trim under the fencing to keep the grass from grounding, which would decrease the punch but only once a month or so – and that is spot trimming at best.

Last edited:
Quote:
Okay first lets put this in laymans terms, is you dog a chewowa, in which case that is not so big, a Lab, which means thats one big coom, or a great dane in which case I think you have a bear living in your storm drain.
ep.gif

If I knew without a doubt that there were coon's living in my storm drain down the street, I think I would have to say that the run would get an immediate upgrade! You are just asking for trouble if you leave an opportunity like that wide open to them. Sooner or later they will pay you a visit and unfortunately it won't be nice. My advice is do it now so you don't loose birds later!

I think the security of the run is just as important as the coop. There are predators out during the day and a flimsy fence is no deterrent to a stray dog, cats, hungry raccoons (which will come out in daytime) and human predators.

I would not risk having the run unsecured from predators. Right now I am outside with my girls when they are in the run because I do not have it covered yet...which means they are open to hawks, eagles, cats and climbers.

Secure the run too. Just my 2 cents worth.

I don't live far out in the country and we have racoons, bears, birds of prey, a lot of cats, etc... I am making my coop super-secure but my run mostly just kees chickens in and cats/dogs/birds out - but not secure against digging or persistant predators. I focused my energies and money on the coop itself because most of the predators I worry about are nocturnal.

Back
Top Bottom