Flip-over disease or something else?

lordvoldemort

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 3, 2010
Lakeland
Ok, lost my cornish rock roo last night. Thought maybe a dog had got him but no signs of attack. I was reading a random thread on BYC that suggested flip-over disease. Well I was just wondering if it would be possible for a 7 month old roo to suffer from this. I have 3 other hens I got with him and they are doing fine. He wasn't fat or overweight, in very good shape actually. When I found him this morning he was lying by the gate on his back with one foot up in the air. No other chickens are sick (have been battling fowl pox but he had shown no signs of the wet form). So should I just dismiss this as flip-over or should I be concerned with something else? Oh, they are on Purena Layena 16% pellets and are in a fenced-in area with lots of grass. If anyone could help ease my mind, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

71893_441278242850_503912850_5258714_3229583_n.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like that may have been a case of flip-over. I am sorry. There was nothing you could have done to change the outcome, if that was the case. It just happens sometimes.

I'm sorry for your loss, but I'm also curious. This is the first time I've heard of "flip over". What you described sounded like a heart attack to me and according to the commercial chicken experts I know (my DH for one), when they have a heart attack they almost always end up on their back. Lost a hen to a probable heart attack in May of 09 and that's how she ended up; on her back, one leg in the air.

Flip-over, also known as sudden death syndrome, is heart failure in poultry. The heart suddenly quits (usually with no advance warning whatsoever), the bird flips-over onto its back and dies.

Quote:
If you caught it right after it happened then it should be fine to eat.

Back
Top Bottom