Flo or Floyd? Hen or Roo? White Crested Black Polish

Peeptastic

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 28, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Hello Everyone! This is my first thread as I am new to BYC and to raising chickens. I have always wanted to have a flock and decided to go for it, against my Husband's better judgement. To soothe the process I ordered a WCB Polish for him because Polish chickens just make him laugh. For a man who didn't want chickens he is completely and totally in love (as am I), especially with "his" girl, Flo. Now that our girls(?) are almost 11 weeks old, Flo has me thinking she is a he. My heart wants her to be a hen, but my mind says roo. No roos are allowed in the city limits so I will hate to give her/him up. Flo's traits that have me wondering are: the puff is less compact now, tiny littIe spurs are forming, a beautiful green, iridescent tint to the tail feathers, long tail feathers, fast growing wattles (which started off yellow), and lastly, (s)he is not scared of anything! There has been a lot of peeps and coos, but no crowing yet. Pictures are below. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Flo at approx. 3 days

Flo at 4 approx. weeks

11 Weeks

Hi! Welcome to BYC and to the wonderful world of chickens.
smile.png
It can be really hard to tell with Polish, I have 6 young ones that I am not sure about yet. My best guess is that you have a Floyd. With polish I always wait for a crow or an egg, because they can fool you.

Well it seems Floyd is unanimous. I hope everyone is wrong, but that is just wishful thinking. We are going to wait until we hear a crow before re-homing. This makes me sad!
hit.gif
Thanks y'all!

Back
Top Bottom