Float test question

They seemed to be packaged vary well and overall in good shape. From the ones we were able to candle, they seemed to be doing well, but many shells too dark or our room not dark enough.

They seemed to be packaged vary well and overall in good shape. From the ones we were able to candle, they seemed to be doing well, but many shells too dark or our room not dark enough.
Ok. Can you get a brighter light and do it after dark in a very dark room?

I consider the float test to see if eggs are viable as a desperation measure just before you throw them away. Just like you did it. If they wiggle on their own there is a live chick in there. If they don't wiggle at that point the egg is not going to hatch. I would never use it as anything other than a desperation measure just before I threw them way.

The egg shells are porous to air and water vapor. As long as they are not cracked or the egg has not pipped water is not going to flood in and drown anything. If it wiggles put it back in the incubator.

It sounds like some people are confusing this with the test to see how ole an egg is. As an egg ages it loses moisture through the porous shell. If it is still pretty new it sinks to the bottom. After it loses more moisture it still sinks but stands up on the bottom with the air cell up. If it loses more moisture it floats. It does nto tell if the egg is good or bad, just how much moisture it has lost.

This could explain why yours floated with the air cell up and the rest down in the water. As it develops the air cell grows but the developing chick or remaining egg material is in the narrow end. It's sort of what you would expect.

Do you have a link to that video? I'd like to see it so I could judge context.

I did this with two eggs today that are overdue. I candled first and could not see movement in either. One wiggled when placed in water, the other did not but did float as it would if there was a live chick. I put them back in the incubator and will wait until day 25.

I consider the float test to see if eggs are viable as a desperation measure just before you throw them away. Just like you did it. If they wiggle on their own there is a live chick in there. If they don't wiggle at that point the egg is not going to hatch. I would never use it as anything other than a desperation measure just before I threw them way.

The egg shells are porous to air and water vapor. As long as they are not cracked or the egg has not pipped water is not going to flood in and drown anything. If it wiggles put it back in the incubator.

It sounds like some people are confusing this with the test to see how ole an egg is. As an egg ages it loses moisture through the porous shell. If it is still pretty new it sinks to the bottom. After it loses more moisture it still sinks but stands up on the bottom with the air cell up. If it loses more moisture it floats. It does nto tell if the egg is good or bad, just how much moisture it has lost.

This could explain why yours floated with the air cell up and the rest down in the water. As it develops the air cell grows but the developing chick or remaining egg material is in the narrow end. It's sort of what you would expect.

Do you have a link to that video? I'd like to see it so I could judge context.

Thanks for the link. Some of his science is simply wrong. The edible egg float test as he calls it does not tell you if the egg is edible or not, it just tells you how old the egg is based on how much moisture has been lost.

The only time I've tried the viable egg test was when my niece was visiting and I wanted to show her the last egg in the incubator was not going to hatch. It was dead and it did float level. No wiggling at all.

That is the first time I've heard about this test being about how deeply the egg floats. Everything I've ever read about it was about wiggling. You'll notice in these videos the eggs are wiggling and are floating like yours, pointy side down.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...399BF073640DBE5F4F24399&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...14BEF044DD0FA161552D14B&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Well still no hatching 😞😢. There was the thread on this site about float test for viability as last option before discarding. In it, they mention percent that should be above/ below water level. I wanted my son to see a visual of this so that’s why I searched out the video. Everything the guy in the video said seemed to match what was said in the thread. Which is why I trusted them.
So the visual of his floating more horizontal than vertical surprised me, but more so when ours were more vertical. Again wanting to learn so wondered why the difference.

I skimmed some of your other posts.
I believe you're humidity was way too high.

Never put eggs in water.

Why is the float test a huge article in here for a MUST do after day 24/25 and so many people swear by it if it’s NOT a good thing to do?!?!!!

Back
Top Bottom