Float tested chicken egg day 22, did moving them kill them?

mykidsmom65

In the Brooder
Jun 26, 2016
So my eggs are 22 days into hatching and no pip, peep, or movement that I can see. Figured they were all dead. Most seem to be but there are 3 that moved all over the place while floating. Now that I know they are alive, did I just doom them? I know you aren't supposed to move them during lockdown. This is my first hatch. I have a still air incubator.

So my eggs are 22 days into hatching and no pip, peep, or movement that I can see. Figured they were all dead. Most seem to be but there are 3 that moved all over the place while floating. Now that I know they are alive, did I just doom them? I know you aren't supposed to move them during lockdown. This is my first hatch. I have a still air incubator.
When did you actually start counting your days at the beginning of incubation? When you put the eggs in or did you start counting 24 hours later? If they were rocking and rolling in the water test they should be getting ready to hatch. No you did not doom them, it is not the best thing to do when they are only a day late but never mind, leave them in the bator, crank up your humidity and wait. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

I counted the next day as one (24 hours). I put them in on March 6 so March 27 would be hatch date right? This is my first time so I may have done it wrong. Two weeks ago while I was at work there was a power outage. Not sure how long it was off but I believe a couple hours. This could change hatch day possibly? Some died but I have 5 out of 10 left. Today 3 definitely moved in the water 2 did not. I even put the 2 did nots back in just in case. I have never seen the eggs move/roll in the incubator. No pip or peeping. I just keep looking through the window waiting to see something. Like I'm a crazy person lol.

Yes, that is 3 weeks so 27th would have been hatch day. Some chicks hatch on days 23 - 25, though! Day 21 is a guideline :)

I doubt float testing them would doom them, but float testing is not reliable and I honestly do not think it's a good idea.

Have you candled your eggs for movement? I suggest doing this.

Tell us how it goes! :fl

IMO, float testing is an archaic system that rarely produces useful information. I would simply wait. No, you did not damage the eggs by moving them. However if there was a pip which you were not aware of, that could possibly result in the chick drowning. The float test also disrupts the bloom, and may make it easier for bacterial contamination. That your chicks are late to hatch indicates that your thermometer may be faulty. Did you calibrate it, and if so, HOW? Is your bator forced air or still? What was your temperature set at? Any spikes or interruption in goal temp? Did you calibrate your hygrometer with the salt test? What have you been running your humidity at?

IMO, float testing is an archaic system that rarely produces useful information. I would simply wait. No, you did not damage the eggs by moving them. However if there was a pip which you were not aware of, that could possibly result in the chick drowning. The float test also disrupts the bloom, and may make it easier for bacterial contamination. That your chicks are late to hatch indicates that your thermometer may be faulty. Did you calibrate it, and if so, HOW? Is your bator forced air or still? What was your temperature set at? Any spikes or interruption in goal temp? Did you calibrate your hygrometer with the salt test? What have you been running your humidity at?

This is my first hatch. Still air. Between 40-50% and 70% for lockdown. I was using the thermometer and hygrometer that came attached to the incubator.

Back
Top Bottom