Float Testing, Checking Egg Viability For Late Or Overdue Hatching

Pics
I stand by my statement without regrets or apology..but just to note... my comment was an indirect statement,meaning it was not all about you in the first place, it was a general statement of fact.

However, Like the instructions JJ offered and you claimed to follow, You obviously did not grasp what my comment meant and failed see it for what it is; you are new to applying the float test method. Pardon me, but it does have everything to do with buoyancy, you are just not experienced enough in that particular task to realize that and fail to understand or interpret the relationships based on the results of performing the test. . Your error, not mine!

I too hold a degree but do not flaunt it as some means to boost my status or in hopes get others to cower at my mention of it. More so, I am humble and willing to help, not an arrogant fool that wants to bicker; I apply and share knowledge and the common sense that I have acquired from experience in all of its life long pursuit. In saying that, I am sorry you feel that you were being attacked and felt threatened enough to mention your status.

To the above I might now be guilty judgment and of error but I am content is considering I am correct in assessment.

I would like to end my reply to your misunderstanding by saying , I am happy to hear you had success and the chick is alive. Welcome to BYC, you will find much needed information here.

well I'm glad this is not about bickering, it reminded me of being 12 at school back in the days when people were convinced the earth was flat and new information to the contrary was ignored because it had always been considered flat.
no, I did not grasp what your comment meant if you are saying otherwise to what it portrayed; I had an egg sink to the bottom of a container of water. there is no variation of sink to the bottom, it is not a partial float either. the information in an article on this site said the chick was dead; it is living, therefore the comment is wrong.
congratulations on your degree, I presume someone else must have mentioned degrees elsewhere and that this is not about my post either as re-reading I do not see anywhere that I mention the level of my educational status, I surely would not want someone as experienced and knowledgeable as yourself to cower, that would be a real travesty.
you are clearly well experienced in this method of chick viability and should I need an interpretation in the future I shall post a video and hopefully gain from your great knowledge base.
thank you for the welcome, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance.
I hope you put up more pictures of your fowl in future as the quality of your photography is also of excellent quality too.

Just a "For What It's Worth".... I see you're from across the pond and would likely have never had the pleasure of feasting on a huge platter of fried crappie...... This is what a crappie looks like. When filleted and breaded in a hillbilly manor, with a spicy corn meal-spice blend of heaven. They are the best thing since beer! Cooked in a deep frier along side of morel mushrooms, they one of life's greatest simple pleasures...... If you ever hit the states, find a red neck that knows how to fix crappie. If you have trouble finding said red neck, Ill heat up the grease myself......

oooh, that does look like yummy fun. I have been stateside many times but never tried fishing there. I have always fancied a trip to the mountains where there is a major lack of people, fishing for salmon and whatever else tastes good. the name is not too appetising to be fair, but I would definitely have a go. how big do they get? going by the other post about using shot to fish for them I presume they are river fish?
I tend to spend more time in Miami and Florida than anywhere else, I like the temperature there and the keys are particularly nice.
having done the mouse and other such frivolities many years ago, I prefer to get lost and just see what is about in the real world. I have met some real amazing people just going about every day life, and built my daughter's education on how other people live in different parts of the world. but I will always have a soft spot for the sunshine state.

oooh, that does look like yummy fun. I have been stateside many times but never tried fishing there. I have always fancied a trip to the mountains where there is a major lack of people, fishing for salmon and whatever else tastes good. the name is not too appetising to be fair, but I would definitely have a go. how big do they get? going by the other post about using shot to fish for them I presume they are river fish?
I tend to spend more time in Miami and Florida than anywhere else, I like the temperature there and the keys are particularly nice.
having done the mouse and other such frivolities many years ago, I prefer to get lost and just see what is about in the real world. I have met some real amazing people just going about every day life, and built my daughter's education on how other people live in different parts of the world. but I will always have a soft spot for the sunshine state.
Crappie is pronounced " croppie" if that helps with the appeal..... They are a pan fish, 12"-14" is a **** nice one..... The split shot Bob mentioned is a lead weight used to hold down the minnow typically used as bait. They are found in rivers, ponds and most bodies of water...... I'll tell ya what, if you make it to Ks. I'll introduce you to eat'n crappie, hold'n down a lawn chair, tell'n lies and drink'n moonshine by a open fire..... I like a "Lack of people" too.... I live on a farm. Ponds, a few trees, pasture, a good dog and critters.... A farm in Ks generally has no neighbors, but you sometimes can see the smoke from your neighbors chimney .... There are very few folks with-in shouting distance, and those are family....

Crappie is pronounced " croppie" if that helps with the appeal..... They are a pan fish, 12"-14" is a **** nice one..... The split shot Bob mentioned is a lead weight used to hold down the minnow typically used as bait. They are found in rivers, ponds and most bodies of water...... I'll tell ya what, if you make it to Ks. I'll introduce you to eat'n crappie, hold'n down a lawn chair, tell'n lies and drink'n moonshine by a open fire..... I like a "Lack of people" too.... I live on a farm. Ponds, a few trees, pasture, a good dog and critters.... A farm in Ks generally has no neighbors, but you sometimes can see the smoke from your neighbors chimney .... There are very few folks with-in shouting distance, and those are family....

well that does sound a touch more pleasing to munch on. we do use split shot for fishing over here too, I did once as a child trying to fish a canal but other than that my experience has been sea fishing, mainly from rocky outcrops and a touch of boat fishing, so most weights I use are larger 4-6 oz breakaways.
that sounds very much like an offer that is difficult to refuse, thank you. I quite fancy a jar of shine with good company, good food and a smoky old campfire.
your farm sounds awesome. I live in the middle of the welsh desert. there is not much in the way of sand but there is a serious lack of people. it's extremely green (as it's always raining) plenty of trees, in fact our land is mainly pasture and trees, we also have a stream running the length of our land that goes through a wooded area. it used to be a farm about 50-100 years ago but has long since ceased to be a working one. we aim to increase the livestock here to become semi autonomous, starting with chickens and working our way up to some larger mammals. our nearest neighbours are about a quarter of a mile away and we are about 30 miles from a decent sized town.
I have spent my whole career working with seriously damaged people so I value the seclusion away from people and their problems. I love nothing better than to grab a bit of food, go set myself down by the stream below a crabby old apple tree and soak up the nothingness.
even when I am out cutting trees down I spend a great deal of time perched on a stump revelling in contentment.
so what do you farm?

I have float tested my 6 late chicken eggs,day 24 for 3 and day 23 for 3,2 sank and all others are floating around the water with only 10% showing but not moving around,just seem to be floating,2 of these eggs I set next to each other because I knew they were moving around inside on day 18 candling,I have 8 hatched from the same bunch,so can I assume they have died after day 18,there is no internal pip that I can see either

Good morning, They likely wont hatch at this point. But the float test didnt tell you much. You mentioned there were no internal pips... As a example of how it works, I would guess that the sinkers have pipped internally. otherwise the air cell would have made them float.... But I would feel real safe throw'n them out at this point if I were you....

I suspected the sinkers were clear from the beginning but I set them anyway,they were just a little tricky to see thru,but the float test confirms those were clear,but the others makes me so sad knowing they were alive and moving on day 18 and died somehow,I will leave in for one more day as no harm in giving them a chance but it's not lookin good,when I candled them it's pretty full in there and can only see bits floating around,and the veins look a little paler now too,thank you for your reply

I set 10 coturnix quail eggs, 3 have hatched, 7 are still in the incubator. I set them over the course of a few days and didn't mark them (dumb rookie mistake I know!) so it's either day 19, 20 or 21 for the eggs. I float tested them and they were all low floaters, but zero movement in any of them. I thought I saw one wobble two nights ago but no pips. I've had trouble keeping temp and humidity consistent throughout incubation. Do you think I should give them more time, or would you toss them? I don't want any to blow up!! But I do want more chicks. A 30% hatch rate feels like a failure. :(

Back
Top Bottom