Float Testing, Checking Egg Viability For Late Or Overdue Hatching

That is odd. Perhaps the chick is malpositioned in some way and has ended up in the air cell somehow. Fingers crossed your little oddball makes it.
It ended up not making it and with good reason. When I realized it was deceased, I opened the shell and it was deformed. It only had the lower part of the beak and possibly just one eye. Bless it. I haven’t had any deformities before. And the other egg that didn’t make it was malpositioned- it’s head was tucked down between its feet. Thanks for the replies. 💗

As several mentioned before, I wouldn't suggest the float test.
Candle or hearing is much better and with no risk for the chick.

If you float test, the shell gets soaked with water and prevents the oxygene exchange till dried. Can cause to choke the chick.

If there is life in the egg, for my experience, you hear scribbling, scratching, pecking or even pipping.
If it is wobbling in the float test, you 100% hear the movement, too.

I prefer the hear test.
Thanks, that’s good to know. I didn’t realize it could cause oxygen issues but that makes sense. I only floated it because I thought they were both deceased. I couldn’t hear it or see movement until I did the float test. That’s when I first heard a chirp and saw the slight movements of the egg. But it ended up that it was deformed and didn’t make it. Thanks for responding. 💗

Many Folks Are Having Eggs Go Overdue For Hatch And Wondering If They Are Duds, Late, Or Have Had Some Sort Of Fetal Demise.... The Float Test Is Simple Yet Effect Way Of Checking Egg Viability.

I Normally Give Eggs A Full 24 Hrs Overdue Before Float Testing. It Works On All Bird Eggs- Period! Takes Very Little Equipment Or Time To Do And Is Easy To Perform.

Start With A Bowl Of Sufficient Depth To Allow The Eggs Your Testing To Float Freely Or Sink. Add 100 Degree Water To The Needed Level And Allow It To Settle( Quit Swirling And Calm Down)

Once Settled Take The Egg Or Eggs To Be Tested And Gently Lower Them Into The Water With As Little Disturbance As Possible. You May Need To Wait A Few Minutes For The Water To Settle Again After Adding Egg/ Eggs. Then Just Watch....

Eggs Are Judged By Observation With Results As Follows:

1. Sinker= Dud, Never Developed

2. High Floater (like A Fishing Bobber Without Weights) Say 45% Or More Of The Egg Above The Water Line= Dud, No Development Or Fetal Demise, Likely Rupture Of Internal Membranes Causing The Egg To Dehydrate.

3. Low Floater= Viable Egg, Development Full Term

4. Low Floater Rockin And Rollin! This Is The Live Embryo Moving Inside The Egg= Definate Viable Egg!

Once Test Results Complete Take Viable Eggs And Gently Pat Dry And Replace In Hatcher. Duds Are Best Discarded At This Time.

It Should Be Noted All Eggs Warrant Close Inspection Prior To Float Testing--- Any Pips In The Shell? Do Not Float Test! If The Shell Is Broken, Pipped Or Cracked In Any Way Water May Enter And Drown The Chick Inside

This Test Works Off Of Air Cell Development With Embryo Growth. Infertile Eggs Will Have An Underdeveloped Or Absent Air Cell That Isnt Large Enough To Float The Egg....thus The Sinkers. Ruptured Membranes Will Allow The Egg To Dehydrate.... Thus The High Floater. Proper Development Of The Embryo Will Cause The Air Cell To Develope To The Point Where Viable Eggs Will Float With Approximately 10-15% Of The Egg Above The Water Line--- These Are The Viable Eggs. Obvious Movement Of The Egg Shows Signs Of Life For The Chick Within. Works On All Bird Eggs From Hummingbirds To Ostriches
smile.png
What is essentially a high floater? If it is floating where the air is, is it considered as a dud?

Last edited:
What is essentially a high floater? If o Lt where the air is floating is it considered as a dud?
Don't float test your eggs. If the chick wasn't dead before the float test, it may well be after. You can float test eggs to see if they're still good to eat. If it floats, it's not good to eat.

Don't float test your eggs. If the chick wasn't dead before the float test, it may well be after. You can float test eggs to see if they're still good to eat. If it floats, it's not good to eat.
I think it would be wise to edit the original post to make this warning as probably many people like me won't read the whole thread. I did do a float test at a overdue to hatch egg (24 days). Hopefully not dead because of that...😩

I think it would be wise to edit the original post to make this warning as probably many people like me won't read the whole thread. I did do a float test at a overdue to hatch egg (24 days). Hopefully not dead because of that...😩

Unless it has pipped externally floating in water won't hurt it, but it is unreliable unless you can actually see the egg move, and towards the end of incubation the chick doesn't have room to move. Candling the egg is much more reliable.

Unless it has pipped externally floating in water won't hurt it, but it is unreliable unless you can actually see the egg move, and towards the end of incubation the chick doesn't have room to move. Candling the egg is much more reliable.
Well there were no pips therefore the float test and I did candle it after, but could not see much movement apart from some shadows. It did seem to slightly move but it's day 24 and I'm becoming doubtful something will come out...

Well there were no pips therefore the float test and I did candle it after, but could not see much movement apart from some shadows. It did seem to slightly move but it's day 24 and I'm becoming doubtful something will come out...

Sometimes the movement of your hands can make it look like the chick is moving as when they die they become a little loose as things start to break down. Can you hear anything if you hold the fat end up to your ear? At this point you could open the egg up a little bit at the fat end, enough for you to be able to see inside, then use a q-tip to wet the membrane so it becomes transparent and see if there is any movement. You'll need a screw or sharp drill bit or fine scissors and you'll need to twist it back and forth in one spot to break through to get a hole started. The shell is surprisingly tough. If you can't see any red veins in the membrane it means the chick has died. The blood disappears from the veins surprisingly fast if they die.

Many Folks Are Having Eggs Go Overdue For Hatch And Wondering If They Are Duds, Late, Or Have Had Some Sort Of Fetal Demise.... The Float Test Is Simple Yet Effect Way Of Checking Egg Viability.

I Normally Give Eggs A Full 24 Hrs Overdue Before Float Testing. It Works On All Bird Eggs- Period! Takes Very Little Equipment Or Time To Do And Is Easy To Perform.

Start With A Bowl Of Sufficient Depth To Allow The Eggs Your Testing To Float Freely Or Sink. Add 100 Degree Water To The Needed Level And Allow It To Settle( Quit Swirling And Calm Down)

Once Settled Take The Egg Or Eggs To Be Tested And Gently Lower Them Into The Water With As Little Disturbance As Possible. You May Need To Wait A Few Minutes For The Water To Settle Again After Adding Egg/ Eggs. Then Just Watch....

Eggs Are Judged By Observation With Results As Follows:

1. Sinker= Dud, Never Developed

2. High Floater (like A Fishing Bobber Without Weights) Say 45% Or More Of The Egg Above The Water Line= Dud, No Development Or Fetal Demise, Likely Rupture Of Internal Membranes Causing The Egg To Dehydrate.

3. Low Floater= Viable Egg, Development Full Term

4. Low Floater Rockin And Rollin! This Is The Live Embryo Moving Inside The Egg= Definate Viable Egg!

Once Test Results Complete Take Viable Eggs And Gently Pat Dry And Replace In Hatcher. Duds Are Best Discarded At This Time.

It Should Be Noted All Eggs Warrant Close Inspection Prior To Float Testing--- Any Pips In The Shell? Do Not Float Test! If The Shell Is Broken, Pipped Or Cracked In Any Way Water May Enter And Drown The Chick Inside

This Test Works Off Of Air Cell Development With Embryo Growth. Infertile Eggs Will Have An Underdeveloped Or Absent Air Cell That Isnt Large Enough To Float The Egg....thus The Sinkers. Ruptured Membranes Will Allow The Egg To Dehydrate.... Thus The High Floater. Proper Development Of The Embryo Will Cause The Air Cell To Develope To The Point Where Viable Eggs Will Float With Approximately 10-15% Of The Egg Above The Water Line--- These Are The Viable Eggs. Obvious Movement Of The Egg Shows Signs Of Life For The Chick Within. Works On All Bird Eggs From Hummingbirds To Ostriches
smile.png
Never put hatching eggs in water unless you are trying to end them.

Back
Top Bottom