Float Testing, Checking Egg Viability For Late Or Overdue Hatching

Pics
I had 2 healthy chicks hatch on day 22. Today (day 24), there are 7 remaining. I tried a float test. The majority look like this, although I noticed no movement.

1 egg this morning had an external pip, but 10 hours later I see no progress. At what point should I intervene? I don't see any movement.

New to hatching (second time), so I'd really appreciate some input from someone more experienced.
@AmyLynn2374 has a great thread for this click on her name and do a search for her

So I need some advice. I'm currently at the end of day 23 (I consider the day the eggs were put in the incubator day zero and don't count it) and I have no movement or sound at all. I candled the egg tonight and the air sack is huge but I also noticed that it shifted so that one end is way lower than the other. Also the veins are much thinner. On day 18 there was movement and everything looked great. I didn't touch the egg after lockdown until tonight. I went ahead and did the float test and the part of the egg where the air sack is floated above water and the rest of the egg was under water. The egg also was tilted a bit rather than straight up and down. But I'm wondering if that's only because of the shape of the air sack. Anyhow, my son and I incubated eggs as a project but intended to keep any chickens that hatched. Well we started with 3 eggs and only this one developed. I guess I'm trying to figure out when to give up. I want to give it a chance but I also don't want an exploding egg. Plus staring at this one single egg hoping to see or hear signs of life is torture.

So I need some advice. I'm currently at the end of day 23 (I consider the day the eggs were put in the incubator day zero and don't count it) and I have no movement or sound at all. I candled the egg tonight and the air sack is huge but I also noticed that it shifted so that one end is way lower than the other. Also the veins are much thinner. On day 18 there was movement and everything looked great. I didn't touch the egg after lockdown until tonight. I went ahead and did the float test and the part of the egg where the air sack is floated above water and the rest of the egg was under water. The egg also was tilted a bit rather than straight up and down. But I'm wondering if that's only because of the shape of the air sack. Anyhow, my son and I incubated eggs as a project but intended to keep any chickens that hatched. Well we started with 3 eggs and only this one developed. I guess I'm trying to figure out when to give up. I want to give it a chance but I also don't want an exploding egg. Plus staring at this one single egg hoping to see or hear signs of life is torture.
what incubator did you use
forced air or still
what temperature did you run
humidity
can you upload a photo?
hand turn or auto
shipped eggs or local
etc

Many Folks Are Having Eggs Go Overdue For Hatch And Wondering If They Are Duds, Late, Or Have Had Some Sort Of Fetal Demise.... The Float Test Is Simple Yet Effect Way Of Checking Egg Viability.

I Normally Give Eggs A Full 24 Hrs Overdue Before Float Testing. It Works On All Bird Eggs- Period! Takes Very Little Equipment Or Time To Do And Is Easy To Perform.

Start With A Bowl Of Sufficient Depth To Allow The Eggs Your Testing To Float Freely Or Sink. Add 100 Degree Water To The Needed Level And Allow It To Settle( Quit Swirling And Calm Down)

Once Settled Take The Egg Or Eggs To Be Tested And Gently Lower Them Into The Water With As Little Disturbance As Possible. You May Need To Wait A Few Minutes For The Water To Settle Again After Adding Egg/ Eggs. Then Just Watch....

Eggs Are Judged By Observation With Results As Follows:

1. Sinker= Dud, Never Developed

2. High Floater (like A Fishing Bobber Without Weights) Say 45% Or More Of The Egg Above The Water Line= Dud, No Development Or Fetal Demise, Likely Rupture Of Internal Membranes Causing The Egg To Dehydrate.

3. Low Floater= Viable Egg, Development Full Term

4. Low Floater Rockin And Rollin! This Is The Live Embryo Moving Inside The Egg= Definate Viable Egg!

Once Test Results Complete Take Viable Eggs And Gently Pat Dry And Replace In Hatcher. Duds Are Best Discarded At This Time.

It Should Be Noted All Eggs Warrant Close Inspection Prior To Float Testing--- Any Pips In The Shell? Do Not Float Test! If The Shell Is Broken, Pipped Or Cracked In Any Way Water May Enter And Drown The Chick Inside

This Test Works Off Of Air Cell Development With Embryo Growth. Infertile Eggs Will Have An Underdeveloped Or Absent Air Cell That Isnt Large Enough To Float The Egg....thus The Sinkers. Ruptured Membranes Will Allow The Egg To Dehydrate.... Thus The High Floater. Proper Development Of The Embryo Will Cause The Air Cell To Develope To The Point Where Viable Eggs Will Float With Approximately 10-15% Of The Egg Above The Water Line--- These Are The Viable Eggs. Obvious Movement Of The Egg Shows Signs Of Life For The Chick Within. Works On All Bird Eggs From Hummingbirds To Ostriches
smile.png
What do you do if you have done this and the lives ones haven't got any signs of hatching, 25th day? Xx

Back
Top Bottom