Float Testing, Checking Egg Viability For Late Or Overdue Hatching

Pics
24 hours after the last one hatches. If none have hatched by day 23 for chickens. I would candle and tap the eggs listening for cheeping first though. Then candle if not signs of life are present
I have had one hatch and one pip. The one that hatched is doing great the that piped died. Today is day 22 and sometime last night we had a power outage and the temp inside the incubator dropped to 50. We aren't sure how long it was like that. Will it kill them or should I check on them? If so when should I check on them. I had 27 eggs I put on lock down. I don't know if this is the right place to ask all this. Sorry if its not. Thank you ronott1 for your response.

I have had one hatch and one pip. The one that hatched is doing great the that piped died. Today is day 22 and sometime last night we had a power outage and the temp inside the incubator dropped to 50. We aren't sure how long it was like that. Will it kill them or should I check on them? If so when should I check on them. I had 27 eggs I put on lock down. I don't know if this is the right place to ask all this. Sorry if its not. Thank you ronott1 for your response.
Wait a day and look for signs of life. Float test and if none of the wiggle, start opening them up.

For the next hatch, work on calibrating the incubator with a known good thermometer. Either calibrate one with the lowest error specs or buy a Brinsea spot check thermometer

Wait a day and look for signs of life. Float test and if none of the wiggle, start opening them up.

For the next hatch, work on calibrating the incubator with a known good thermometer. Either calibrate one with the lowest error specs or buy a Brinsea spot check thermometer
Sorry that should have said 90 no 50. Thank you I will look into the thermometer stuff as well. Would 90 kill them? I'm still fairly new to all this.

Sorry that should have said 90 no 50. Thank you I will look into the thermometer stuff as well. Would 90 kill them? I'm still fairly new to all this.
No but usually a hatch that is late with a lot dead has incubated too low for the entire incubation period

We had an exploding shipped egg yesterday at 16 days. So we decided to water test the rest since I couldn’t see through them well due to egg color. We didn’t wait for wiggle just for float.

Of 5 cream legbar, one sunk pretty far but bobbed back up but indicated A very small air sac.
And of 6 welsummer 3 did the same. Plunged and then bobbed back up above. I kept them for now thinking they won’t be explosive at least.

Would you keep ones that appear to have a tiny air sac? And would you water candle again in a few days or just let them go and let nature do it’s thing?

ETA these are under a broody

Well so I tried this and my egg sunk to the bottom and no movement. I opened the egg to see is I could tell what was wrong. Well the chick was still moving and alive at the time I had cracked the egg and the membrane and now I put it in the incubator o see it It can make it. I feel terrible and now I may have killed my first ever chick. I will not be trying this again. Or maybe I did it wrong please someone help me understand.

Well so I tried this and my egg sunk to the bottom and no movement. I opened the egg to see is I could tell what was wrong. Well the chick was still moving and alive at the time I had cracked the egg and the membrane and now I put it in the incubator o see it It can make it. I feel terrible and now I may have killed my first ever chick. I will not be trying this again. Or maybe I did it wrong please someone help me understand.
I am so sorry!

That is one reason why I do not float test. It can be dangerous and not very helpful

Back
Top Bottom