Floating DH's Idea -- An Earth Sheltered Coop?

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
So, last night DH and I were sitting outside at sunset watching the bats come out and talking about how we'll set up the coop and the aquaponics. I was debating how to deal with the approximate 4-5' dropoff in the ground level; if it would be better to build a wood floor even with the upper level, to go down steps to the building, or to go down steps inside the building.

This morning DH suggested an earth-sheltered coop -- built right into/against that dropoff with a concrete block or poured concrete retaining wall/foundation.

Has anyone here tried building a coop into a hillside?

My initial reaction was to wonder about keeping it dry enough and my second reaction was to think that it would be very good for moderating our viciously-hot summers while making it easier to keep the waterers from freezing in winter (in 13 winters I only remember the ground actually freezing once and then only a few inches deep).

DH has always wanted an earth-sheltered building so if it's reasonably feasible it would make him very happy.

So, last night DH and I were sitting outside at sunset watching the bats come out and talking about how we'll set up the coop and the aquaponics. I was debating how to deal with the approximate 4-5' dropoff in the ground level; if it would be better to build a wood floor even with the upper level, to go down steps to the building, or to go down steps inside the building.

This morning DH suggested an earth-sheltered coop -- built right into/against that dropoff with a concrete block or poured concrete retaining wall/foundation.

Has anyone here tried building a coop into a hillside?

My initial reaction was to wonder about keeping it dry enough and my second reaction was to think that it would be very good for moderating our viciously-hot summers while making it easier to keep the waterers from freezing in winter (in 13 winters I only remember the ground actually freezing once and then only a few inches deep).

DH has always wanted an earth-sheltered building so if it's reasonably feasible it would make him very happy.
My main coop is the basement of my shop. It is built into the side of a hill. It helps keep the coop cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

Do you have any moisture issues? Do you need to take any special precautions about that?

I am, btw, on exceedingly sandy soil -- very well drained.
I live on a sand dune. Drainage is excellent. The sand is the floor. I do not have moisture issues since this is a dry climate. Yesterday's outside humidity was 17%. I am also at one mile high elevation and our annual rainfall is not a lot. This year has been very dry.

One of the smartest things I did was to put in a frost free water hydrant and then built the coop around it.

Back
Top Bottom