Floating plants to cut down feeding cost

Nice set up! How big is the pond in the poly house? Do your ducks eat all the floating species in addition to the duckweed?

I scoop duckweed out of my aquariums when I get an infestation and dump it in the duck pond as a treat. Next year I will try growing it in a mini-pond outside as duck food. I agree with Chad, in an aquarium it is a horrible pest.

I did somd quick research and in an aquarium with fish it could be bad. A regular awurioum with just the plant not so bad, but outside in its natural setting seemed to be best

My ducks would like this. Is there othef plants that can go with it for ducks to eat?

Of the surplus floating aquarium plants I have tried, ducks will eat duckweed and frogbit. They will not eat water lettuce, but that isn't surprising. That plant has irritating calcium oxalate crystals in the leaves which can be toxic if eaten in large amounts. But it tastes so bad that rarely happens.

Could you technically grow this in a small pool and move it to the duck pool as a constant daily food source?

if the sun hits it, will it grow? Anything else needed?
Yes, nothing easier to grow than floating palnts. You need a constant supply of nutrients.

Nice set up! How big is the pond in the poly house? Do your ducks eat all the floating species in addition to the duckweed?
About 100 m². Yes, they eat them all!

My ducks would like this. Is there othef plants that can go with it for ducks to eat?
I haven't found a floating plant they wouldn't eat. I have several species of duckweed, Salvinia and Azolla, water lettuce, water hyacinth, frog bite and a few more growing together. Think polyculture > monoculture

Can chickens eat this to or do the not bother with it?
I know they love Azolla, and I assume they would eat the other floating plants as well.

They will not eat water lettuce, but that isn't surprising.
My runners ate the water lettuce. But it's not their favorite.

Btw my runners only eat floating plants if they float in water. If I collect them and put them on the ground, they will not even bother.

Back
Top Bottom