Floating waterfowl feed...confused!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by quirkybeeper, Sep 22, 2013.

1. quirkybeeper

quirkybeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Guilford County, NC
    I've been giving my ducks chicken feed the entire time I've owned them (about 2.5 years). I just found out *this week* that our local farm store carries food specifically for ducks and geese! *facepalm*

When I got the bag home, I looked at the tag to see what all it has in it (yay niacin!), and it says it's floating food. Now I'm just completely at a loss. Should I put it in their pool or water tote, or can I feed it in the feeder like the chicken feed? I only have 2 ducks in a small enclosure, they have a mid-size kiddie pool for swimming and an under-bed storage tote for their drinking water...so I have no idea where to put it, how much to feed, etc. Any advice is greatly appreciated! I thought I was finally getting the hang of owning ducks, this completely threw me for a loop!

2. quirkybeeper

Jul 24, 2011
    Guilford County, NC
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hey me again, I have no experience with this feed but I think mazuri makes floating waterfowl feed not sure though, anyway why not email the company where your feed is from and ask them I'd think it could be fed dry at least then it wouldn't get soggy before they finished it up.

4. quirkybeeper

Jul 24, 2011
    Guilford County, NC
    Thanks, I didn't even think of that! I have my moments...

Anyway, I emailed and said that I could give adult ducks the food either in the feeder or float it in their water...just in case someone else has this question :)

1 person likes this.
  5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Glad to be of help and I have senior moments so understand what your saying.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by