flock attacking one hen

ms541415

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 13, 2014
I have a black cochin rooster, 3 rhode island red hens, 2 black sussex hens, and a partridge cochin hen. They have all been living together with no problems for a little over a year now. A few weeks ago I noticed that my rooster started bullying my partridge cochin when she would try to eat with the rest of the flock. He started chasing her around the yard and into her coop. Over time the bullying got worse, he would go into her nest box and pull her out by her comb while she was trying to lay. I decided to try seperating him from the flock for a few days, but as soon as he was removed the rest of the flock seemed to take his place bullying the same hen. If they notice her getting close to them they attack. Ive returned the rooster to the flock but have removed the abused hen from the coop for her own safety. Im wondering why this might happen and any ideas what I can do to restore peace to my flock? She hasnt been laying eggs since shes been isolated and seems much more relaxed with being handled then usual. I thought she was showing signs of having gone broody but she seems to have snapped out of it. She was sitting on a few eggs before she was moved to her new coop but abandoned them shortly before the move, I assumed because of the stress of the constant atracks. She now has a private space with a new nesting box, Ive tried giving her eggs to sit on but she will not use the the new nest. She also had been refusing to mate with the rooster and his attempts end with the same attack and chase around the yard.

How much space do they have? Not enough space could cause stress, which leads to fighting. Another thing could be the hen's broody tendencies. The other breeds you have aren't likely to brood and some roosters will occasionally stop a hen from brooding. When a hen broods she won't allow the rooster to mate.

One hen being attacked by the whole flock is odd, but not unprecedented.
There is a theory that a weak or sick bird can be attacked by the flock because a weak sick bird can attract predators.
Space might be an issue, but I kinda doubt it.

I had this happen this spring, hen would submit to cock but he would only peck her not mount her and he was the only one actively chasing her down and pecking her. She seemed healthy and was still laying and just hung out with the pullets for buddies, I have enough space for her to stay away from the abuse. Never did figure out what the deal was, I harvested her in the old hen/extra cockerel cull this summer.

Sorry I have no finite answer to your question. Leave her separated for her own protection and see if the flock starts picking on someone else. If no other problem arise with the rest of the flock, you may have to rehome or harvest her.

Back
Top Bottom