Flock away from home question

38921ADC-85C2-44FB-9377-556F6CB12522.jpeg
Is this window sufficient? They’ve done well here for two years but I’m certainly willing to work on it if they need!
Nice coop, needs some ventilation work...open up those soffits(cover with 1/2" HC) and add louvered gable vents. Need some light too, so maybe glazed top hinged windows for more ventilation in summer and light in winter.

That run is sweet, will be 'easy' to add solid 'rafters' to hold mesh and tarps.
Nice coop, needs some ventilation work...open up those soffits(cover with 1/2" HC) and add louvered gable vents. Need some light too, so maybe glazed top hinged windows for more ventilation in summer and light in winter.

That run is sweet, will be 'easy' to add solid 'rafters' to hold mesh and tarps.

I live in an area where there are a lot of pasture raised chickens. Everything is fine until it isn't. One neighbor, who free ranges his in the forest, has to start over about once a year or more. When the coyotes come through they don't leave a single chicken behind.

I semi-free range in a fenced in orchard with bird netting over the top. I have lost chickens to eagles before I had the netting.

It is devastating to go out and find one of your birds has been attacked. That's actually not a great quality of life. My chickens were shaken up for weeks after that.

Thank you. That is a harrowing tale. I don’t want to provide trauma, that’s for sure. I guess you either have to trap or traumatize- unless you have a perfect set up (like a covered orchard!).
I live in an area where there are a lot of pasture raised chickens. Everything is fine until it isn't. One neighbor, who free ranges his in the forest, has to start over about once a year or more. When the coyotes come through they don't leave a single chicken behind.

I semi-free range in a fenced in orchard with bird netting over the top. I have lost chickens to eagles before I had the netting.

It is devastating to go out and find one of your birds has been attacked. That's actually not a great quality of life. My chickens were shaken up for weeks after that.

Thank you. That is a harrowing tale. I don’t want to provide trauma, that’s for sure. I guess you either have to trap or traumatize- unless you have a perfect set up (like a covered orchard!).
But you can't trap an eagle or a whole pack of coyotes. Hate being the bearer of bad tidings, but I was so optimistic about it all before the eagle attack. Now I look at everything from a "what could go wrong" perspective. I suspect your husband knows your tender heart and is trying to spare you heartache. I like the coop and run. You could keep them safe in there by closing off the top of the run. And yes, more ventilation.

Oh I meant trap or traumatize the chickens! I know I can’t trap all the predators! Wouldn’t want to actually, they’re just trying to live!
But you can't trap an eagle or a whole pack of coyotes. Hate being the bearer of bad tidings, but I was so optimistic about it all before the eagle attack. Now I look at everything from a "what could go wrong" perspective. I suspect your husband knows your tender heart and is trying to spare you heartache. I like the coop and run. You could keep them safe in there by closing off the top of the run. And yes, more ventilation.

I have 5' fences. I had a coyote jump over a fence into a pen and killed some birds. It did jump back out as well as some of the birds that were left and was chasing them through my yard until I got my gun and fired it, then the coyote ran off.

Back
Top Bottom