Flock Block Recipe!

DURR

Songster
7 Years
Dec 17, 2012
Screven, GA, US
Ok so I have decided to give out my flock block recipe! It was a longshot of a recipe that I was praying that my babies loved, and they did!

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
I used a smaller rectangle cake pan probablly about 9x4x2" deep.
But you can use whatever you like if I had loaf pans I would have used them instead. Make sure they or it is greased good.

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups of oatmeal
1 cup of self rising flour
1 cup of corn meal (yellow or white)
2 apples
1/2 of a tomato
2 tbs of vanillia yogurt
Handful of their favorite greens I used collards and lettuce.
1 egg
2 table spoons of homemade strawberry jam ( or fresh fruit bout a handful)
1 teaspoon of brown sugar.
1 cup of bread crumbs.
1 cup of scratch

Ok first I took all my "wet" ingredients and mixed them together ( make sure to save an apple) in a blender until it was puree'd rather nicely. Next I placed the puree in a deep mixing bowl and washed and towel dried my blender so I can make my bread crumbs, you can use store bought if you have it (unseasoned of course or you can do saesoned?). After I blended my bread crumbs into my flour and cornmeal. Keeping that aside I cooked the two cups of oatmeal, save the 1/2 a cup for later. Mix the oatmeal into the puree. After all that blend your puree in with your dry ingredients. I made sure that the batter was about as thick as it would be for cornbread. After its well blended and to the right thickness dice or cube your remaining apple and mix it in with batter.

Ok before I poured the batter in the pan I placed the 1/2 cup of oatmeal on the bottom of the pan and poured my batter over it and after leveling out the batter I sprinkled the scratch over the top. Bake it for about 35-40 mins or until golden and pulling away from the pan. It will still look a little doughy in the inside but that's the way I wanted it and my birds loved it!

img2012122900113.jpg

img2012122900114.jpg

Heck, with a little butter and jam, I'd eat it!
wink.png

Seriously, it looks like the chickens would love it. I often take outdated things from the cupboards - oatmeal, cereal, pasta - toss in some veggies and what not and make kind of a porridge to give them. Yours sounds much better and a lot less messy!
Thanks for sharing!

Your welcome let me know how they liked it!

@Redsoxs - that's pretty much what I did haha. Every thing I had was pretty much "scraps" anyways :D

Back
Top Bottom