Flock Block

tomorton

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 17, 2009
Anyone have experience for "flock block" by Purina? It's a 25 lb block of grains, minerals and vitamins..pros or cons?
Thanks

Flock Blocks are nice when the weather is too cold and wet to free range my chickens. They take turns picking goodies off of it.

I tried that flock block about 2 weeks ago. It kept the hens from picking on each other when they are stuck inside for the snowy days. They loved it and it's already gone...if you have mice you may want to hide it overnight. I started putting mine in my truck overnights. I figured that out about a week too late haha.

I recently bought a flock block but found that the chickens were mainly just eating that and not their layer pellets which resulted in poor egg shells... IMO the smaller suet cakes would be better as they would not end up being the main diet of the birds.

Funny...I stopped giving them suet cakes because they ate them and neglected their regular feed (also seemd to give them the runs)..whereas I am not having that problem with the flock block and egg production is way up. I have had the block about a month and it is 1/2 gone with 15 hens working on it......and, sadly, I cannot free range the birds anymore due to high coyote population.

Back
Top Bottom