Flock Bully

Aclurk

In the Brooder
Dec 28, 2020
I have a small flock 1 crippled rooster, 2 buff orpingtons and 3 silkie hens. Everyone is about the same age 1-2 years old. Over the past few months I’ve noticed signs of bullying. It started with the roo he has his neck and part of his back plucked bald. I tried spraying him purple but that didn’t seem to work. It just made them all afraid of me. They have a 10x10 enclosed run. There are too many predators in the area. I built them 2 outdoor roosting ladders (that no one seems to use) and hung cabbage heads and corn on the cob from the roof of the enclosure to try and entertain them. To date all but the one BO have bald butts. The Bully is the sweetest chicken of them all and everyone’s favorite, but I can’t allow the bullying to continue. Today I removed her from the general population and put her in a dog crate in the garage. How long should I segregate her for to stop the bullying? I hope it’s just winter boredom...

It sounds more like feather pecking/plucking than bullying. Sometimes Pin Less Peepers are necessary to break the habit.
I apologize for my ignorance. Is feather plucking different than bullying ? I was just looking at pin less peepers on amazon. Some of the reviews scare me.

I agree with aart on Pinless Peepers for your buff orp. I tend to have issues with my silkies mixed with other birds anyway. They really can't see very well unless you keep their crown feathers pulled up/trimmed and I've noticed mine tend to huddle up while getting pecked instead of running away.
May need an extra boost of protein or minerals in diet if it's feather eating. Do you have oyster shell out for them in the run?

Back
Top Bottom