Flock bullying one Hen due to injury

FreeRangeHen

Hatching
Oct 18, 2023
I've read bunch of threads on here already but I'm looking for further advice because my weakest hen has crooked feet so she won't ever heal. right?

I have 8 hens and a rooster who get to free range from dawn till dusk. The bullied hen is a rhode island red and she crooked toes. This is my first time raising hens so I now know what to do in the future to help chicks heal. Im assuming now that shes full grown I can't fix it. If I am wrong please tell me. I don't want to have to cull her but I understand that might be whats necessary if I can't get this sorted.

Anyway the other hens don't let her hang out with them and chase her away, at night when I put her to bed, one hen in particular chases her around and bullies her out of the coop. most of the time it's nothing too bad because she just hangs out outside of the coop and waits for them all to be roosting.

she roosts on the ground, I made her a little box and sometimes the other hen won't let her into it unless i intervene.

She has a blackberry bush she hangs out under al day and she eats and drinks just fine, as far as I know right now. She follows the group but never wanders very far from the main coop area.

Im worried that as winter sets in they are just going to get meaner and more rough with her. Is there a way to fix this without culling her?

Also she has only ever laid a couple eggs, I'm not sure if thats because shes being bullied or because of the crooked feet.

Any feedback would be great.

I've read bunch of threads on here already but I'm looking for further advice because my weakest hen has crooked feet so she won't ever heal. right?

I have 8 hens and a rooster who get to free range from dawn till dusk. The bullied hen is a rhode island red and she crooked toes. This is my first time raising hens so I now know what to do in the future to help chicks heal. Im assuming now that shes full grown I can't fix it. If I am wrong please tell me. I don't want to have to cull her but I understand that might be whats necessary if I can't get this sorted.

Anyway the other hens don't let her hang out with them and chase her away, at night when I put her to bed, one hen in particular chases her around and bullies her out of the coop. most of the time it's nothing too bad because she just hangs out outside of the coop and waits for them all to be roosting.

she roosts on the ground, I made her a little box and sometimes the other hen won't let her into it unless i intervene.

She has a blackberry bush she hangs out under al day and she eats and drinks just fine, as far as I know right now. She follows the group but never wanders very far from the main coop area.

Im worried that as winter sets in they are just going to get meaner and more rough with her. Is there a way to fix this without culling her?

Also she has only ever laid a couple eggs, I'm not sure if thats because shes being bullied or because of the crooked feet.

Any feedback would be great.
there is always one which is lowest in rank. And hopefully the difference is not as big as it is in your case.

I'm so sorry for your hen. In my personal experience, group dynamics sometimes change when adding an extra member. Maybe they know she has a disadvantage because of the crooked toes and their instincts say she weakens the group... Let's here what others have to say... I'm so sorry for your hen! I bet she is the sweetest one đź’›

Any photos of her feet? You're right in that this likely can't be corrected, I'm just curious how bad it is.

As sad as it is that she isn't well accepted by the others, she is still part of the flock. If she can eat and drink without issue and is okay looking on at the others from a distance, that still provides a level of social interaction for her.

I suppose if you have the space you could make her her own mini enclosure and put the next lowest rank bird in with her (provided it's not a known bully of hers) but there's no guarantee they'll get along better in closer confinement.

I had a situation like this, its so sad.

I had to separate one of the lowest hens on the totem pole due to injuries and drawing blood. If you had enough space in your coop making her her own mini enclosure would be amazing, provided her own feed, water, and nesting box. When I had separated one of mine I kept her in sight and sound of all her flock mates, which is crucial for the re-introduction process. It took about 3 weeks for her to get fully healed and another 2 to get her re-acclimated to the other hens. When re-introducing them, I let the bullied one roam first then I let all the other hens out. They would stare at each other through the chicken wire. It will be tough to watch your hens tussle, but unless it's bloody or deadly, don't intervene. They have to fight :(

Given that winter is rolling around you may want to hold off, just for the sake of space given for them to re-introduce.

Hope this helps and best of luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom