Flock doesn’t except single pullet. Why?

I put her outside early in the morning and watched them closely, but since she one of the smallest ig they peck her a lot.
You can't just place a chicken in a flock. She was a stranger so they attacked her. What you need to do is put her in a crate in the run. That way the other chickens will get used to her without being able to attack her. After a week of that, introduce her to your most docile hens. Let her out for about an hour a day as well. When she can be let out for longer periods and only gets pecked a little bit, she is fully integrated.

You can't just place a chicken in a flock. She was a stranger so they attacked her. What you need to do is put her in a crate in the run. That way the other chickens will get used to her without being able to attack her. After a week of that, introduce her to your most docile hens. Let her out for about an hour a day as well. When she can be let out for longer periods and only gets pecked a little bit, she is fully integrated.
It’s my first time adding a single chicken so, I really have no experience. I’ll take your advice tho and keep in a safe area to introduce her.

Yep, dog crates are the best. I keep them in there for a while (sometimes a week or two after quarantine is over) around the flock in the coop. They usually acclimate really well when they can't touch each other, and they treat the new bird like part of the flock when I let them out.

Yep, dog crates are the best. I keep them in there for a while (sometimes a week or two after quarantine is over) around the flock in the coop. They usually acclimate really well when they can't touch each other, and they treat the new bird like part of the flock when I let them out.
I also do this but I don't have experience with having the chicken with the flock for a month already and then trying to reacclimate into the flock. Not sure if it would help or not.

Will they still peck her to get their pecking order straight?

I also do this but I don't have experience with having the chicken with the flock for a month already and then trying to reacclimate into the flock. Not sure if it would help or not.
Will they still peck her to get their pecking order straight?
Yes, they will, but not in an overly aggressive manner. They will not treat her like she is an intruder that needs removed. I guess that begs the question, how bad is the current pecking? Is she bleeding? Are feathers noticeably missing? When they peck, does she run or stand up to them? If she is not getting injured, I would just leave her be. She is just a lower member of the pecking order.

I do the see but no touch integration for at least 2 weeks but that is just me. The only pecking that happens is with integrating new roosters, sometimes I do 3 weeks of see but no touch for them and then everything goes well. When introducing new pullets, I don't have the pecking issue because I do the same integration process. Other people do different things, it depends on how much space you have to work with.

Back
Top Bottom