Flock genetics questions

Rossarinya

Chirping
Aug 19, 2013
We like to have only one rooster and have now had the same gentle giant for a few years and hes now related to most of the flock. Working on a niederrhiener cream legbar hybrid. Ideally I'd like to have the size and temperament of the Niederrheiner and the blue eggs and autosexing features of the cream legbars.

This morning five new fluff balls hatched that he is both father and grandfather to.

My current flock:
1 Purebred niederrheiner rooster
1 purebred cream legbar hen
F1 hen Fiona by this rooster but a older cream legbar hen we no longer
2 F1 hens daughter of current cream legbar hen by current roo
6 f2 chicks at least 3 of which are female and at least 1 is a rooster others are unclear. Parents are current rooster and Fiona his daughter above.
And 1 chocolate Orpington that goes Broody and raises chicks for me but I don't actually want chicks from genetically.

Do i need to retire my rooster at this point? If so, would it be ok to keep the best rooster hatched this season and breed him to his sisters and mom?
How many generations would that rooster be allowed to stay? Do i need a new unrelated rooster for next season?

Baby pics for fun

Attachments

• 1028191214b_HDR.jpg
    1028191214b_HDR.jpg
    586.7 KB · Views: 7
We like to have only one rooster and have now had the same gentle giant for a few years and hes now related to most of the flock. Working on a niederrhiener cream legbar hybrid. Ideally I'd like to have the size and temperament of the Niederrheiner and the blue eggs and autosexing features of the cream legbars.

This morning five new fluff balls hatched that he is both father and grandfather to.

My current flock:
1 Purebred niederrheiner rooster
1 purebred cream legbar hen
F1 hen Fiona by this rooster but a older cream legbar hen we no longer
2 F1 hens daughter of current cream legbar hen by current roo
6 f2 chicks at least 3 of which are female and at least 1 is a rooster others are unclear. Parents are current rooster and Fiona his daughter above.
And 1 chocolate Orpington that goes Broody and raises chicks for me but I don't actually want chicks from genetically.

Do i need to retire my rooster at this point? If so, would it be ok to keep the best rooster hatched this season and breed him to his sisters and mom?
How many generations would that rooster be allowed to stay? Do i need a new unrelated rooster for next season?

If you only are working with one cockerel you will likely need to bring in a new unrelated cockerel every 3-4 years. Some breeding plans use the cock and breed him to his daughters, granddaughters, and his great-granddaughters before retiring the cock. You should be fine breeding the cock for three generations. The way the inbreeding works it is better to use the same cock for 3 years than to use the cock for two years and a son that could result in brother-sister matings.

Back
Top Bottom