Flock guardians

boundtogoboogie

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 28, 2014
Central New York
Reading some of the posts brought a question to mind. The chickens are new to me. I have had horses for years and the largest predator we have in the area are coyotes, which are not a problem with a mature stallion and my broodmares. Pretty daunting. We also have goats and one donkey, who are stalled at night, but out during the day. (My birds will be confined in a secure stall at night) My question is, will the donkey probably be protection for the chickens diring the day? They will not have access to any space outside the goat pen and the barn, and we have never had a problerm, but we've never had chickens before, either. I'd appreciate some feedback.
Cynthia

The donkey will probably protect itself and the chickens if they are with each other. If the chickens aren't with the donkey it won't rush to the chickens' rescue. Chicken friendly dogs and roosters will protect the flock more than a donkey would. (But the rooster might loss his life!)

The donkey will probably protect itself and the chickens if they are with each other. If the chickens aren't with the donkey it won't rush to the chickens' rescue. Chicken friendly dogs and roosters will protect the flock more than a donkey would. (But the rooster might loss his life!)
I agree, get a couple dogs if you have the time to work with them , i use Great Pyrenees and Pyrenees/Anatolian Shepherd cross with excellent results, i also use other dogs for other things but the Pyrenees is by far the best thing i have to protect my birds and none of my flocks are penned.

Unfortunately, the dog idea is not an optlon. My barn is a lease situation and i have 4 big dogs at home. Also, can't take then to the barn because the donkey will run them down and stomp them, which suggests to me that she would take exception to a fox in the pen, also.

we have lots of wild critters in our woods that would like to have a nip at my chickens. so we ALWAYS have to have an outside dog. one time our dog got hit by a car and with in a week something got into my coop. dogs work best.

I'd love to add a dog, but my husband, who doesn't know I have the chickens, will probably strangle me with his bare hands if I get another. I have friends who breed Akbash dogs and I;d love one of them. Not an opetion, tho. This is a dog that needs to be left with its flock/herd and I am not comfortable with that in the area we are in. I figure that in the fall when I start bringing home oddly colored eggs from the barn he may figure it out, but by them they will be justifying their existence. Yes, I am a terrible wife.

Back
Top Bottom