Flock hiding in hay bale...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kitkatnoah, Oct 13, 2010.

1. kitkatnoah

kitkatnoah Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    I'm stumped here....last night I went out to the coop to lock up the door & didn't see my flock of 2 month pullets in the coop & they weren't in the run either. I don't free range them yet, so the door to the run is always locked. During the day, I open up the coop door to allow more ventilation, it opens up into the run. After grabbing a flashlight, I shined all around the coop & made clucking noises & sure enough, all of the pullets were hiding & huddled between the hay bale & wall. It wasn't cold last night, about 65 degrees, with a very faint breeze. I checked the coop for any signs of what had them hiding & couldn't find anything that would suggest why they were. I checked the run & everything was tight & untampered with. I closed & locked the coop door and went back inside my house. This morning when I went to feed them, they were all out in their run & seemed fine, clucking for their morning feed. I have noticed that they are not using their roosting ladder in the coop & during the day they love to roost on the ladder in their run. I keep the hay bale inside the coop & spread it on the floor when I sweep out the coop. The coop is 6x6x6 and the run, which is attached to the coop is also the same dimensions, there are 5 pullets. So, my question is should I move the hay bale out of the coop or just leave it & let them figure out to use the roosting ladder on their own? I checked the area where they were hiding & they seem to have been sleeping there for several days, due to the poo buildup.

Thank you!

2. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    My flock of 4.5 month olds , JUST started going into the coop w/out help at 13 weeks old. Only 3 of 9 will use the roost--unless, I place them on there.. They huddle in the corner of the coop. You might want to wait until dark and place them each on the ladder.. 2 month is still very young, so maybe just a little help and time and they will get the idea..

A few things to think about: how wide are the rungs on the ladder. They might like it better if it was a 2x4 w/ the 4" side for them to sit on..
    I wouldn't keep the bale in the coop.. It's a great place for a snake or rat to hide under or a larger predator to hide behind.
    Is there a window open that is even w/ the ladder? If so maybe there was a draft over it..

3. kitkatnoah

kitkatnoah Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    Thank you! I'll move the hay bale, never thought about predators hiding behind it & I'll try putting them on the small roosting ladder at night when I close their coop door. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by