Flock Integration Conundrum

I don't NEED a rooster. I'm ready to let him go but my husband doesn't view him as causing problems yet like I do and my kids are attached. 🤦🏼‍♀️

Are you thinking my original pullets will calm down about the new girl if I get rid of the cockerel?

Yes, it would be easier without the cockerel. Not only does he probably try to catch and mate the pullet, him doing that to the others is stressful for them (they aren't mature enough to be ready until they're laying), and they take that stress out on each other.

If you need to prove the point of how much calmer things can be without a cockerel, separate him for a couple days and see.

Are you thinking my original pullets will calm down about the new girl if I get rid of the cockerel?
If the cockerel is the instigator it will certainly help. He very well could be. If you can try isolating him for a few days you can see what effect getting rid of him would have.

Sometimes the pullets stay in the coop and up on the roost to avoid the cockerel when he is overactive in puberty and mating them a lot. That's even when they are all the same age and grew up together. I'm not looking at them but that does not seem to be what is going on here. One or more of yours are attacking her so she is avoiding them. I don't know which one.

With my flock it is pretty common for my younger chickens to avoid the older. The more mature outrank the less mature and are often not shy about enforcing those pecking order rights by pecking (or more) when the younger invades their personal space. It usually doesn't take long for the younger to learn to avoid the older. Mine typically don't go out of their way to attack the younger as long as they keep their distance. Every now and then you can get one that will be a brute, that can be male or female. Each chicken has its own personality.

Sometimes mine will merge earlier but typically they form sub-flocks until the pullets mature enough to make their way into the pecking order. That is typically about when they start to lay. Size doesn't matter, it's laying eggs that seem to admit them into adulthood. That's when they start roosting together. eating together, and hanging together during the day.

Having a single chicken makes it worse. They are flock animals and want to be with other chickens. But if they invade personal space they can get pecked. It's sometimes worse if the single chicken is the older one. They want to be with the other younger chickens but will still peck if they get close enough for personal space to be violated.

You will have great space once they are all integrated but integration takes more space than just living together. Your pullet should have enough to avoid the others but she may have to use the room in the coop to achieve that.

I agree with the others. If hens and eggs are the priority, the cockerel only stands to complicate the dynamic. If you remove him from the equation it may not eliminate all the challenges, but it will be easier to assess what is going on. One hen beating on a Beta can cause the entire group to shun them. I think of it like a cue ball on a pool table, the action of one bird can have a chain reaction throughout the group.

I was watching on the coop camera just a few minutes ago and the cockerel raced outside to the run all of a sudden and the new girl was by herself in the run and he attacked her. I could hear her "screaming" from inside the house and on the camera. I raced out for rescue right away and she's physically ok. I'm SO upset for her! 💔😡 I have put the cockerel in our "look-no-touch" corner by himself. I've noticed one of the established pullets pick on the newbie a little more than the others but maybe she'll calm. Maybe the hubs will listen to me now that cockerel HAS to go and I'll deal with the fallout of my kiddos emotional heartbreak.

I am by no means an expert on the topic of chickens, or chicken integration, having only raising chickens for two years.

Following the advice given here, I have successfully integrated a portion of my flock earlier this year, and still in the process currently.

Late in June, I parked my chicken tractor, right next to our enclosed run, and coop. I kept it there for a couple weeks, so the chickens could get a good look at each other, but still have some distance and security. I had eight hens in the chicken tractor and a mixture of 12-week old pullets and Cockerels in the enclosed coop/run. After a couple weeks of seeing each other, I partitioned the run into 2. Put the hens on one side and the pullets and cockerels in the other. After a day, I removed the partition and let them mingle. There was definitely some hen pecking and chasing going on. Mostly instigated by one of the older hens. I put her into a dog create in the run during the day, and let her roost with them at night. This went on for a couple weeks. She finally started getting to calm down and not chase everyone off the feeders.
About a week ago, I cordoned off a smaller section for the last batch or 8 week old chicks to integrate. I made two entrances, big enough for the chicks to get in but too small for the older pullets and hens, or so I thought. The chicks come and go freely, staying close to the pullet-paddock, but every once in a while I find a now 19 week pullet in with the chicks. They've been doing well, no blood or excessive fighting. The chicks are getting more gutsy, and explore outside of their paddock, especially when the old mean hen isn’t around.
The chicks are even making it into the coop before dark, at least most nights.

Attachments

• IMG_1023.jpeg
    IMG_1023.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
I don't think space is a problem. Our coop is 4'x8' with ample roosting bars. The run is appx 250sqft. (I can't free range because we have bald eagles, osprey and all manner of predators.)

I don't NEED a rooster. I'm ready to let him go but my husband doesn't view him as causing problems yet like I do and my kids are attached. 🤦🏼‍♀️

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond!
I personally never integrate a single new animal if I can help it. If there are 2 (or more) integrated together they will have a common friend to be with.

This summer I have integrated my niece’s elderly hens into my flock, my young Roo (now 16 weeks) decided he would be their Roo (darn guess he stays), as there where 5 of them the integration went smoothly. I also introduced 3 ready to lay Azurs who also integrated really well.

A couple years ago I integrated a single hen and the poor thing was the odd one out, when my new Roo arrived the two of them teamed up (they are now inseparable 😊).

I would suggest never add a single animal - have a friend to team up with.

As for the Roo, if you don’t want the stress quietly rehome the boy without your family knowing. Better to ask for forgiveness, than ask for permission.

Hope all is well!!

Back
Top Bottom