Flock integration question

Kyatesw

Chirping
Nov 6, 2020
Hi everyone, I have four 14 week pullets that I'm working towards integrating into my existing flock of 3. I've been doing the see but no touch for 2 months and now I'm working on letting them all out together to free range in the yard. I'm in no rush since I'm building a bigger coop.

My question is how do I empower the little chickies to be less afraid of the big gals? I've tried letting just the little chickens out so they can get comfortable in the yard. And I've tried just one of the big chickens out with them in the yard at a time. The problem is the big chickens know the little chickens are afraid of them so they chase them back in their run for sport. My method for right now is to just let them work it out, but I'm wondering if there is something I'm not thinking of.

They just have to work it out.

My Splits harassed the Ideal Dozen for weeks after integration, but since I had lots of space, multiple feed and water stations, and lots of hiding places no one ever did anyone any harm.
Arg that's what I figured. I'm just annoyed that the littles are rewarding the bigs behavior. Thanks!

How big is that back yard in feet? Do you have a photo? That's mainly just out of curiosity, it probably won't change my answer.

With my flock, the immature chickens avoid the mature ones. If they invade the personal space of the adults they are likely to get pecked so they soon learn to stay away. This is during the day and when they are settling down to sleep. If they get pecked and run away they might get chased but very soon they learn to just stay away if they have room to stay away. That's why it is important that they have room inside and outside, so they can stay away.

My brooder is in the coop so the chicks are raised with the flock. At 5 weeks I turn them loose and they roam with the flock in an area over 3,000 square feet. They almost immediately know to avoid the older ones. It's never been a problem.

I don't know how long you have been trying this. Yours may still be in the learning phase of avoiding the older ones. As long as they have enough room that should not take long.

At night my young ones do not sleep up on the main roosts with the adults. It depends on how many different groups pf younger ones and their relative ages but they find a safe place to sleep where the older ones don't bother them. As long as it is predator safe and not in my nests I don't care where they sleep. About the time my pullets start laying they are considered adults by the older hens and can join the pecking order and merge with them day and night.

It sounds like your pullets are still sleeping separately. In your position I'd let them prove that they can coexist in the run/back yard during the day for at least a couple of weeks before I tried to force them to sleep together. Hopefully your coop is big enough that they can stay separated at night. With you only having seven chickens total I'm kind of concerned just how big your main coop may be. You may require more patience than I do. As far as I'm concerned as long as no one is getting injured no one is getting injured. Life is good. They'll figure out all that other stuff when they mature enough.

Arg that's what I figured. I'm just annoyed that the littles are rewarding the bigs behavior. Thanks!
That's not a reward, it's how chicken flocks work so they can exist in a flock. When there is conflict the weaker typically run away from the stronger. There may be some chasing but, in general, if they can run away and get away peace is restored. It usually doesn't take long for the weak to learn to avoid the strong. You see that some with adults but you see it all the time when you have juveniles in your flock.

Chickens are not human beings, they are chickens. That behavior is chickens being chickens. Practically any chicken can be a bully if they get the opportunity.

They will ultimately be 2 separate flocks until they start to lay. The bigs will have their pecking order and the littles will have theirs(but the bigs are the boss) once the littles start to lay you will probably see more small squabbles as things rearrange again. I've seen a lot of changes in the last couple months with my 15 month olds and my 6 month olds, have faith in the pecking order they'll work out all out ;)

Ok so I am going to have TWO integrations coming in the next several weeks to couple months and I plan to use the see no touch method too. Here's my question though....I have 5 adult hens and one is very much a bully. She still harasses the two new ones after nearly 8 mos?! Anyway, I will be getting a much bigger coop (10x16 coop and 10x16 run) as soon as the weather dries out long enough to get it delivered. My thought process is to move the adults first then I have 3 8wk old pullets I will move to the old coop until they are big enough to move then I have 5 more 3 wk old babies I will move into that coop once I move the pullets. Would it be best if I crate the bully for several days then integrate her or what would you suggest in my case? I attached pics for better reference. Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• 66818290584__32F7081E-FEAA-431E-9878-12CD3C6619A4.jpg
    66818290584__32F7081E-FEAA-431E-9878-12CD3C6619A4.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6165.JPEG
    IMG_6165.JPEG
    868.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6173.JPEG
    IMG_6173.JPEG
    694.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6174.JPEG
    IMG_6174.JPEG
    942.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6185.JPEG
    IMG_6185.JPEG
    790.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6190.JPG
    IMG_6190.JPG
    514.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6216.JPEG
    IMG_6216.JPEG
    940.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6483.PNG
    IMG_6483.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6484.PNG
    IMG_6484.PNG
    448.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6486.PNG
    IMG_6486.PNG
    536.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6487.PNG
    IMG_6487.PNG
    843.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6513.jpg
    IMG_6513.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6514.jpg
    IMG_6514.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6518.jpg
    IMG_6518.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6519.jpg
    IMG_6519.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6520.jpg
    IMG_6520.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6523.jpg
    IMG_6523.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6524.jpg
    IMG_6524.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6521.jpg
    IMG_6521.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 2
Ok so I am going to have TWO integrations coming in the next several weeks to couple months and I plan to use the see no touch method too. Here's my question though....I have 5 adult hens and one is very much a bully. She still harasses the two new ones after nearly 8 mos?! Anyway, I will be getting a much bigger coop (10x16 coop and 10x16 run) as soon as the weather dries out long enough to get it delivered. My thought process is to move the adults first then I have 3 8wk old pullets I will move to the old coop until they are big enough to move then I have 5 more 3 wk old babies I will move into that coop once I move the pullets. Would it be best if I crate the bully for several days then integrate her or what would you suggest in my case? I attached pics for better reference. Thanks in advance!!
Where exactly are you located? Climate has a lot to do with things. Is the turquoise coop in the pics your new coop? If at all possible, I would section off an area inside the coop for the littles. @azygous has a great article about integration. This is my integration/ broody/ isolation area https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/change-of-plans.1454019/post-25352513

Where are all the littles right now?

Back
Top Bottom