Flock is free range - shelter ideas?

Ako-nee

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 26, 2014
My girls, flock of 7 right now, are free range and really love it. For most of the day they run straight into a thick clump of brush we have- but occasionally they’ll come into the open and that’s what makes me nervous. We have unfortunately lost one from a hawk, so to combat it I asked my mom to bring home pallets and from those we made little shelters they can run under. But they’re so heavy, and when summer rolls back around I know my dad will give me an earful about having to move them every time he has to mow our 5 acres. So what are some ideas? Do these shelters have an actual name?? Whenever I try to look up ideas they just show me chicken runs and clearly that isn’t what I mean :( I’m only 19 and in college so I don’t have an extremely bountiful budget but I adore my girls and I’ll do whatever I can for them

Plastic dog kennels are easy to move and should be easy enough to get. I’ve used plastic drums cut in half with a little arch shaped door in the side to house birds before too.
You could also maybe hang a tarp up in an area they frequent? Like over their water/any food dishes you leave out. Easy enough to mow under/move.

My girls, flock of 7 right now, are free range and really love it. For most of the day they run straight into a thick clump of brush we have- but occasionally they’ll come into the open and that’s what makes me nervous. We have unfortunately lost one from a hawk, so to combat it I asked my mom to bring home pallets and from those we made little shelters they can run under. But they’re so heavy, and when summer rolls back around I know my dad will give me an earful about having to move them every time he has to mow our 5 acres. So what are some ideas? Do these shelters have an actual name?? Whenever I try to look up ideas they just show me chicken runs and clearly that isn’t what I mean :( I’m only 19 and in college so I don’t have an extremely bountiful budget but I adore my girls and I’ll do whatever I can for them
As you've seen for yourself, thick bushes or clumps of brush make good shelters, not just from predators, but also from the sun.
I have never seen for sale the sort of movable shelter you have in mind, although I have made some and seen others.
BUT, none of what I've seen or built will stop a determined attack from ground predators and a very determined hawk.
Easiest is lengths of bamboo pole stuck in the ground spaced to allow the chickens in between the poles. Tie the poles together at the top.
Or, make a circular cage with fencing that has holes large enough for a chicken to get through and use a dustbin lid for the top.
Best is to free range your chickens where there is plenty of natural cover. Unfortunately some people like neat lawns surrounding their houses and that is not the ideal environment for chickens.

Back
Top Bottom