Flock killing a new hen and mycoplasma

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by annaling, Nov 2, 2016.

1. annaling

annaling New Egg

Nov 2, 2016
    Hello
    I have just come to a community and adopted a flock. We have 3 turkeys, 23 hens, 3 roosters and 6 quails. A new brahma rooster and hen were introduced just before I came. The rooster has not been accepted and is being made to stay in a bush, especially by the male turkey. The new female seemed to have more freedom but yesterday she was attached my the turkey and the hens and didn't survive. What should I do to keep the new rooster safe? Must he forever be sectioned off?

Also, a female turkey has mycoplasma, she was been treated with antibiotics, but again she has been wi the flock since before I came. Is there anything I can do at this stage? I will avoid stress, keep the nutrients up and make sure they have warmth in the coming winter

Thank you so much for your time!

Anna

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Separation sounds like your only option other than eating the Tom or getting rid of him....?

Then you will be able to get the Rooster in the pen and back with the hens...

Cheers!

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Turkeys will kill chickens as you have seen. I would recommend a separate pen for your turkeys before they do it again.

Adding extra heat to turkeys would add more stress than relieve it, so I wouldn't worry about heating them as they are very cold hardy. Mine will choose to sleep outside most nights, and have spent the night out during blizzards.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by