Flock Management Failure

rebbetzin

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 4, 2008
Tucson AZ
I am so sad today! Yesterday I put my four hens out early in the morning to play in the chicken tractor. As always I moved the tractor around to give them some grass weeds to eat. Our recent rain has made lots of nice weeds in the yard.

Anyhow, I lost track of time while doing other things, and they were in the sun too long. Two of my Buff Orpingtons couldn't take the heat. My Barred Rocks were fine. But, Ophelia was already dead when I went out to check them. And poor Olivia died in my arms as I was attempting to cool her off with water from the hose.

I feel so HORRIBLE today. I keep crying. It was completley preventable! I am so sorry I didn't put them back in the coop when it started to get warm. I am just heart broken!

For those in warm climates, please learn from my stupidity...

Some photos of my beloved Ophelia and Olivia for a Memorial.

Olivia and Ophelia as a chicks.

Three days old

BuffOrpingtonchicks.jpg

100908Opheliaemail.jpg

110608Bookendsemail.jpg

Letsplayfollowtheleaderemail.jpg

As young Pullets

120508Orpingtonscloseupemail.jpg

As Hens

Oliva

OlivaGoodOneemail.jpg

Ophelia being camera shy.

OpheliaPeekingemail.jpg

And last one that makes me really sad.
Me holding Olivia.

StandingmeandOliviaeditedemail.jpg

Now I have two Barred Rocks, Rosalind and Roxanne, and Roxanne is egg bound.. or something... her tush is all swollen still. I have tried to help her by warm water soaks, massage of her swollen tush, nothing helps, I feel no egg up there, she is eating and drinking and pecking just like normal.

This is not a good day!

Last edited:
I'm so sorry. Don't be too hard on yourself. Accidents happen. I know it's hard not to criticize yourself right now, but try to remember all the good things you did for the chickens. I hope you can find some happiness in watching over the rest of your girls.

Back
Top Bottom