flock merging mishap

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kinnip, Aug 23, 2008.

1. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Knowing some inclement weather was on its way, last night I tried to put my five little Marans in the big coop. I waited until dark, then began placing the Marans, one by one, on a roost in the big coop. My roo didn't like it one bit. He flapped and squeeled and made like he was going to attack the poor little birds (they aren't that little). Anyway, the Marans climbed out of the coop and settled all over my BF. Stranger shy as they are, this was very surprising. We ended up putting the Marans back in their little home and I had a very mature yelling match with the rooster. As I write this, it occurs to me that we gave up too soon. I'd like to try again tonight, assuming the weather isn't too bad. Should I separate the roo for the night? Maybe let him cool his heels in the little house, while the Marans deal with the older ladies in the grown-up coop?

2. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Well the hens could become the major issue. If your roo is much larger then your new ones, he could injur them, the hens will pick them until they realize where they stand on the pecking order. Personally I'd put them in a cage and allow them all to see each other and where food is etc.
    Most folks say put them in at night, they will not notice...not for my flock. Even after they have been together, seeing each other, I would have to let the new girl out of the pen and the original girls in the pens until I could let them out in a large area to so one could run without getting hurt.
    Good luck and put them in the same open area to check each other out today while you can remove the main attacker. Good luck!

3. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I should add, they've been running together for a week now, and the little house is in a run within the big run. It's just a matter of where they spend the night. I thought that putting them in at night would work too, but nope. Confound these stubborn birds!

4. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    I introduced some pullets to some older hens recently, and had great success taking the two "meanest" of the original hens out for a few days. I put them in a little tractor I have, and let the pullets get comfortable in the new digs with the less fussy hens.

When I put the two meanies back in, it was as if the pullets had always been there. No problem.

I think pulling the roo out for a bit would be a good thing to try. Even just the night maybe.

5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I had the hardest time with my Marans. They went in the coop fine, but they would never come out. Everytime they would try to come out the roo would try to mate them and they didn't like that. They must have stayed in the coop all day long for 4 weeks or more. Now they come out OK and are part of the group, but it was difficult. The times I've switched flocks around have been just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by