Flock not integrating

Chickenlover425

In the Brooder
Oct 10, 2016
Central New York
Present flock - one Sussex, three Easter Eggers. I raised 6 straight runs Americaunas, because they are supposed to be friendly and ended up with two hens. Two roosters were disposed of at an early age and two went to a good home. I integrated the babies at 10 weeks, by keeping them separated in the coop. at twelve weeks they were big enough to let out with the rest of the flock. They have always been very skittish even tho held and loved. The two little ones are not accepted by the older hens and are constantly picked on. I see a lot of evidence of feather pecking even amongst the older hens. Feathers everywhere. The two little ones ARE very skittish and run from everything and everyone, hiding themselves. When let out of the run, they stay by themselves. Can someone give me some advice on this dilemma?

Welcome!
My coop and run look like the aftermath of a bad pillow fight right now, because many of the hens are molting. Fewer eggs, but normal.
With plenty of space, extra feeders and waterers, and out of site places, all will be well in your flock.
Hatchmates are 'family', often for a very long time. The adults are 'managing' your youngsters, and as long as there aren't injuries, just let it be.
Your young birds may get less timid as they grow up and integrate better with their seniors. Or, they may just be less social with humans than you were hoping for, and that's normal too.
Mary

Present flock - one Sussex, three Easter Eggers. I raised 6 straight runs Americaunas, because they are supposed to be friendly and ended up with two hens. Two roosters were disposed of at an early age and two went to a good home. I integrated the babies at 10 weeks, by keeping them separated in the coop. at twelve weeks they were big enough to let out with the rest of the flock. They have always been very skittish even tho held and loved. The two little ones are not accepted by the older hens and are constantly picked on. I see a lot of evidence of feather pecking even amongst the older hens. Feathers everywhere. The two little ones ARE very skittish and run from everything and everyone, hiding themselves. When let out of the run, they stay by themselves. Can someone give me some advice on this dilemma?
It is unlikely that the hens will fully accept the pullets until they come into lay.
Give them plenty of space to get away from the hens. I still have pullets blasting away from the hens at the breakfast bar. They know to stay back. But several of the hens have accepted the pullets even though only 2 have come into lay. They will form a cohesive flock in their own good time.

Thank you for your replies. Very encouraging. I forgot to mention that the only one laying is my Speckled Sussex. The array of feathers has disappeared, so I don't think they were molting just yet, but still some evidence of pecking. I kept two of the roosters who were beautiful birds. They went to a good home 3ks ago. Could it be that having roosters in the pen upset the original flock?

I kept two of the roosters who were beautiful birds. They went to a good home 3ks ago. Could it be that having roosters in the pen upset the original flock?
You kept them or gave them away?
Read above that you kept 2 and gave 2 away.<scratcheshead>
No doubt that multiple males cause trouble and stress.
Get rid of all males, or all but one.

The adults are 'managing' your youngsters, and as long as there aren't injuries, just let it be.

No doubt that multiple males cause trouble and stress.
Yes to the above. The youngsters are learning the rules, they are supposed to stay out of the way of their elders, let the elders eat first, roost first, go out the door first, etc. In my experience, different age groups will almost always stick together away from the others.
Make sure there are extra food and water stations.
I find integration the hardest part of raising more chicks. This year I let a broody hen do it all, and it was pretty seamless. The 'kids' now 3 months, are accepted by the elders, but they stick to themselves, follow rules, and don't question authority.
Good luck with your flock!

The way I read this you have four pullets at point of lay and you have two Ameraucana pullets. The four cockerels are gone. The last two cockerels have been gone for three weeks. The rest have gotten over them by now.

The others have covered it pretty well. Be patient and things will probably work out. Give them extra feeding stations, as much room as you reasonably can, and let them work it out at their pace. Don't try to force them to roost together or put them in tight quarters to force them merge.

I will add that chicks go through juvenile molts as they grow. They outgrow their feathers and need to replace them. That's my guess as to why you saw feathers.

Thank you for your encouraging replies. Actually, they seem to be settling down a little. Re roosters - 2 were culled early. Two stayed and then went to a good home. I kept them because they were so beautiful, hoping to rehabilitate them. From research, it seems that possibly Sidney, was a cross Americauna/Black Magnum and Charlie a cross Americauna/Red Magnum.

I am having a similar issue! I have 3 18 week old chicks..2 black lorps..1 is a rooster...and 1 barred rock. I have been trying to integrate 3 14 week d chicks..2 eggers and a Brahma...for weeks I let them free range together..me barred rock terrorized them..then put a barrier in the coop and kept separated..things seemed fine so I removed it...all hell broke loose..my barred rock wants to kill them...so yesterday I put her in time out in a bin...that’s all I have..so now my rooster is going after them..not as aggressive...but the little guys stay stuck in a corner..or on a perch and don’t move. I haven’t even put the barred rock back in yet! I have absolutely no idea what to do..this is my first flock and I’ve done everything I have read. How will I know when it’s time to call it a day and re-little ones. I still have the 3 little ones sleep in a brooder because I think they won’t get through the night in the coop with the other ones! Desperate...help me! Never thought integrating would be so stressful!!

I am having a similar issue! I have 3 18 week old chicks..2 black lorps..1 is a rooster...and 1 barred rock. I have been trying to integrate 3 14 week d chicks..2 eggers and a Brahma...for weeks I let them free range together..me barred rock terrorized them..then put a barrier in the coop and kept separated..things seemed fine so I removed it...all hell broke loose..my barred rock wants to kill them...so yesterday I put her in time out in a bin...that’s all I have..so now my rooster is going after them..not as aggressive...but the little guys stay stuck in a corner..or on a perch and don’t move. I haven’t even put the barred rock back in yet! I have absolutely no idea what to do..this is my first flock and I’ve done everything I have read. How will I know when it’s time to call it a day and re-little ones. I still have the 3 little ones sleep in a brooder because I think they won’t get through the night in the coop with the other ones! Desperate...help me! Never thought integrating would be so stressful!!
I had an aggressive barred rock hen. She had to wear pinless peepers (blinders) for a while. it stops the pecking. After a few months I removed them and she was much better, live and let live. These little plastic devices snap onto the nostrils and prevent forward vision. The chicken can still use peripheral vision, to eat, drink, forage etc.

Back
Top Bottom