Flock not laying

Welcome to BYC. It's not that unusual for birds to take a winter break in their laying cycle.
:welcome :frow This is true especially for birds getting older, often times they will take the winter off. Some of mine do too but my younger birds are doing well. Good luck with your birds and have fun...

I have a backyard flock of 8 hens and 1 rooster. This fall they all molted, but now everyone has feathers and fluffy butts, but none of them are laying. Most of my hens are 2-3 years old. My rooster is 4 years old. I've noticed that he is not active with the hens and none of them are spending much time scratching and looking for bugs in their run. Actually, I often find them hanging out on the roosting bars inside the coop during the day. They get an 18% protein, "egg ration" pellet from the feed store, scratch grains and whatever vegetable scraps I have from the kitchen. Any advice would be appreciated.
I am having the exact same situation, I just don’t have a rooster. I too am wondering why nobody is laying!

I am having the exact same situation, I just don’t have a rooster. I too am wondering why nobody is laying!
The days are still getting shorter. Any hen into her second year and past will stop laying when they molt and usually will not resume laying until after spring arrives.
Patience, grasshopper.

Back
Top Bottom