Flock of 7-10 wk old chicks strange bleeding above the beak- identical on all 10 birds!

My feed tray is metal and looks like this:

The area in question, to me at least, is the inner compartment that actually holds that feed. (below)If not slid in evenly on both sides, the wavy end can protrude out. I think this could be where my little guy got his bill wedged. You can actually see a tiny corner protruding in the first photo I posted. (above)

Thanks to Amy S and CMV. I'll check my feeders. They are metal!

I probably wouldn't have posted had I not woke up one morning to find all 10 of my birds with this fresh identical injury. Weird. It hasn't reoccurred yet, thankfully.

Great tip thanks.

Yw. Glad it has not reoccured.
cool.png

Yes, that is the feeder that was causing all the injuries. The problem was the holes where the birds insert their beaks in to get to the food. The turned down metal edges were razor sharp in some cases. Ducks inserted their beaks, got jostled or tried to pull their beaks out quickly, and the sharp inner edged cut the top bill off.

I went to the feed store today to look over their other feeders. They have the circular plastic feeders with the oval holes in them. They didn't seem sharp...I checked some. I am really thinking of going back to get that one, at least until they start to get bigger, and then I will get an open one.

Back
Top Bottom