Flock of One

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by courtneyq, Nov 15, 2008.

1. courtneyq

courtneyq Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2008
    Athens, Georgia
    I have been keeping two hens in the suburbs for a while, and I just lost one. The one hen that is left, a RIR, just over a year old, is doing pretty well so far alone, just a little jumpy, but I imagine she will be happier with company. Is that what you've found, or can a chicken be happy alone?

If I do find a new hen to add to the flock, any advice on how to incorporate her? How do I make sure they won't have diseases to pass? And is there any particular breed you'd recommend or avoid with a RIR? Thanks!

2. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    I had a lone chicken for a while as all the others were taken by a fox. She was ok - ate and drank etc but I felt she needed company and soon got 4 more. We put them all together straight away as I trust my supplier who has the birds from chicks and has never given us any with disease in the past.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Our RIR are very calm birds. I don't think there would be any trouble putting two together. If it were only one or two birds being added to a huge flock then you might have a problem. The two might fight at first, but I would doubt there would be too much of a problem. We have SLW and rocks with our RIR, but they have been together since day one. I don't think there would be any specific breed that would do better or worse, it would just depend on the individual bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by