Flock Power Dynamics

DuckTapePalace

Chirping
Apr 22, 2023
Hey all!

My husband and I picked our ducks up from the Tractor Supply in March so they’re bout 4 going on 5 months old. There are 3 Anconas (Commander Swann, Morey, Argus), 1 Rouen (Eleanor), and 2 Swedish (1 Blue-Blue and 1 Black Luca). We just picked up 2 more Black Swedish (Moody and Midnight) who are a few weeks old now and getting their big feathers.

There’s been a lot going on but I was wondering if you all noticed some of the power dynamics taking place. Eleanor is the smallest and has somehow become the boss lady, teaming around with our Ancona drakes, Commander Swann and Morey. Commander Swann is lovely but the more decissive and aggressive while Morey is an enforcer. I noticed this trifecta developing but wasn’t sure what to make of it.

Maybe it’s because of mating season, but Swann has taken to blocking the path of the ladies who want to come greet me and my husband, specifically Blue, who is a total sweety. She is also buddies with our injured/recovering duck, Luca who sits in an enclosure next to theirs. Swann guns for her every chance he gets and I get it. But I think he’s now trying to control Blue and Argus who like to sit next to her and me, because leaving Luca there “puts them at risk”. So he’s one thing.

Eleanor has decided that she will lead all of them around the garden whereas before they all kind of took turns, and I suspect she is behind them getting in the creek they were content to ignore because there is a ledge and they can’t get back up. We had a heck of a time getting them home this last weekend and while we wouldn’t mind them being in when we can be out with them, we know it’s not 100% safe (we are new, urban, chaos farmers). This weekend was the first time they got in after 2 times before (1 was an accident and 1 was with us but they weren’t into it) . Yesterday I watched them poke around the lush af garden and be content to nap. Eleanor gets curious and ansty and today I found them on the ledge, which I suspect is by her leadership. Now that they’ve been in they’re down in a heart beat, all she has to do is show them the way.

Yes yes….ducks and water. Yes yes, building a more secure fence. We can do all that. We can give them feeder fish and snails and whatever they need as a treat. The garden is FULL of snacks for them and they’re pretty spoiled.

But my main concern is Eleanor and Swann, who has been demoted. Aside from fencing and treats, how do I reassert that my husband and I are the bosses? The other ducks are happy, sweet, and generally content in the garden.

Hey all!

My husband and I picked our ducks up from the Tractor Supply in March so they’re bout 4 going on 5 months old. There are 3 Anconas (Commander Swann, Morey, Argus), 1 Rouen (Eleanor), and 2 Swedish (1 Blue-Blue and 1 Black Luca). We just picked up 2 more Black Swedish (Moody and Midnight) who are a few weeks old now and getting their big feathers.

There’s been a lot going on but I was wondering if you all noticed some of the power dynamics taking place. Eleanor is the smallest and has somehow become the boss lady, teaming around with our Ancona drakes, Commander Swann and Morey. Commander Swann is lovely but the more decissive and aggressive while Morey is an enforcer. I noticed this trifecta developing but wasn’t sure what to make of it.

Maybe it’s because of mating season, but Swann has taken to blocking the path of the ladies who want to come greet me and my husband, specifically Blue, who is a total sweety. She is also buddies with our injured/recovering duck, Luca who sits in an enclosure next to theirs. Swann guns for her every chance he gets and I get it. But I think he’s now trying to control Blue and Argus who like to sit next to her and me, because leaving Luca there “puts them at risk”. So he’s one thing.

Eleanor has decided that she will lead all of them around the garden whereas before they all kind of took turns, and I suspect she is behind them getting in the creek they were content to ignore because there is a ledge and they can’t get back up. We had a heck of a time getting them home this last weekend and while we wouldn’t mind them being in when we can be out with them, we know it’s not 100% safe (we are new, urban, chaos farmers). This weekend was the first time they got in after 2 times before (1 was an accident and 1 was with us but they weren’t into it) . Yesterday I watched them poke around the lush af garden and be content to nap. Eleanor gets curious and ansty and today I found them on the ledge, which I suspect is by her leadership. Now that they’ve been in they’re down in a heart beat, all she has to do is show them the way.

Yes yes….ducks and water. Yes yes, building a more secure fence. We can do all that. We can give them feeder fish and snails and whatever they need as a treat. The garden is FULL of snacks for them and they’re pretty spoiled.

But my main concern is Eleanor and Swann, who has been demoted. Aside from fencing and treats, how do I reassert that my husband and I are the bosses? The other ducks are happy, sweet, and generally content in the garden.
wow like a ducky soap opera ! lol !
yes they are sure characters arent they. I have a 'general flower' and 'lieutenant Perdy' and a 'captain heidi' lol

what i do to teach the ducks who is boss, i pick up a troublemaker duck (after catching it lol) and sit down with it and hold it for a while in front of all the others. it basically humbles them. may have to do it a few times.

Right?! Who knew about ducks! Hahaha Love those names. You must have tight run ship ;)

The two are the toughest to catch, though I have grabbed Swann a couple times when he goes after Luca (through the fence too much). He’s fun to hold. I will try that if I can get Eleanor. Her first name was Speedy (Speedicus).

I may be wrong, but maybe aim less for being a boss and more for being a much loved spectator. Ducks seem less inclined to go with authority than chickens.
This is more my style. I just don’t want them to run so much or feel they can’t be allowed near me. Treats can fix that pretty quick.Swann and Blue are notorious piranhas. <3

Back
Top Bottom