Flock Problems

Has it always been like that or is this a recent development? If they are new to the coop and won't go in, what I have done is simply lock them in the coop with their food and water for 2 or 3 days so they recognize where they are supposed to stay. If they have used the coop but now won't go in I wonder if they were scared by something in there and now reluctant to go in.

Has it always been like that or is this a recent development?  If they are new to the coop and won't go in, what I have done is simply lock them in the coop with their food and water for 2 or 3 days so they recognize where they are supposed to stay.  If they have used the coop but now won't go in I wonder if they were scared by something in there and now reluctant to go in.  

New development. I just finished their run and turned them out three or four days ago. Now they won't go in at night. They'd rather sleep in a pile outside.

New development. I just finished their run and turned them out three or four days ago. Now they won't go in at night. They'd rather sleep in a pile outside.

Is the run secure from predators?
What part of the world are you in...is it hot where you are?
Maybe they are more comfy in the run..?

Dealing with this too! Think I have mine back on track. I think what started it was hanging a big new (apparently very disturbing) shiny galvanized hanging feeder instead of the rubber feed pan I have always used. I also had to remove some roosts in the run to make it less appealing to stay out there. Second the locking them in the coop for a couple days suggestion.

My coop has an enclosed area off the ground with 2 perches...but there's also a run outside with some perches. At some point, perhaps during summer, they all took to sleeping outside. When winter came, they tended to stay outside and huddle together. I just figure, let it be. Some of my birds even stay outside the coop and perch up in the trees. The whole property is now surrounded by electric fence so it's all safe. The way I see it, it's less poop in the shavings or at least easier to clean. I just figure to let it be.

At the same time, you could do as suggested above...just keep them in there for a few days and it'll reprogram their fragile little minds to be back in there. So long as you get the eggs and everyone is healthy maybe just let it be...

Is the run secure from predators?
What part of the world are you in...is it hot where you are?
Maybe they are more comfy in the run..?

Run and coop are secure. I'm in southern Indiana. Night time temps mid 50's daytime just now getting in to 70's. I've been told to take the feeder out and only feed them in the evening just before dusk in the coop

6 weeks old

I took the feeder out and put it back before dusk. All my hens went in but two. Caught them and shut them in for the night. Hopefully they get the idea.

Back
Top Bottom