Flock Protectors???

We have an Anatolian Shepherd LGD, she is wonderful. Does not have the long hair that you have to deal with on a Great Pyrenees .
smile.png

Midas, our great pyrenees rescue pup, has done a great job so far in the backyard. He's only chased twice and I think that he was more scared than they were! He's being crated in the basement and we'll move his crate to the coop once he finishes all his heartworm meds. We know he was abused when he was little (rear-end skittish and someone tried to cut his tongue off), so we've been taking him the our bicycle races and he has done great! Once he gets more comfortable coming to us and obeying, we'll let him live his life in the backyard with the girls.

57425_midas.jpg

57425_midas_sleeping.jpg

Our 5 yr old AKC champion male Tibetan Mastiff Mugz is an excellent all around *mother hen* to any livestock including the birds! He watches the skies for predators as well as the ground. He will chase coyote, fox, possum and skunk (carefully on that last one!) to the fence line and then return to double check his charges are ok.

Here he is guarding the turkeys as the hawks and golden eagles were out in force this particular day. Not that they could take a turkey but turkey yard is a spit from the chicken coop. If he needed to protect the coop, he goes right over the top of the orange fencing.

65984_mugz_n_turkeys.jpg

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
That's awesome! Way to prove that show dogs are functional, and not just pretty!
May I ask how do you keep him in show coat while spending so much time outdoors? I'd love to have my Goldens guard my chickens (and they'd love it, too) but their coats look dreadful any time they spend a few days outside, and I have a pretty busy show schedule planned this summer.

Back
Top Bottom