Flock Raiser

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by seminolewind, Jan 7, 2011.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Who uses flock raiser instead of just chicken feed? What's the reason? What about calcium?

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I do

I give them all free choice oyster shells

The reason for it is that i have birds of all different ages, some laying, some not yet laying and I have no way to keep them separate.

3. JustOneMore

JustOneMore Chillin' With My Peeps

We had used Flockraiser and recently switched to Poulin Grain Egg Production Plus Crumblets. The Poulin feed has a higher protein. It doesn't make sense to me to reduce the protein on hens that are using more energy because they're producing. You can find more information on the Poulin grain products at www.poulingrain.com.

Before I switched I posted something on BYC asking for reviews on the food. I was pleased with what others had to say about it then, and I am thrilled with how well my girls are doing on it now. [​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I use Flock Raiser because it's all I can get from my feed store. I have used it for years seems to be a very good product, I also give oyster shell year round.

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I didn't used to be able to get flockraiser so I use gamebird feed. You can get it in higher protein formulas and one of my local feed stores sells it very reasonably. I prefer it to layer because I have a mixed age/species flock and it is lots easier to be able to feed them all one thing, especially since they freerange. You do need to put oystershell out freechoice for the layers, but that's easy enough to do and not very expensive either.

6. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Quote:X2!

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I use gamebird finisher and give more oyster shells mixed in. I can't find flock raiser in pellets and crumbles wastes too much feed.

8. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    We use it for the higher protein and because we have many different age ranges. We use it interchangeably with gamebird feed. I buy whichever's cheaper or currently available. It varies here. I can't get anything higher protein in a pellet. [​IMG]

I mix it about half and half with layer pellets and feed crushed eggshells for calcium.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  9. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I use Flock Raiser and oyster shell because I have all different ages and multiple species (chickens, ducks, guineas, quail, chukar), and everyone does great on it. [​IMG] I've raised pheasants, wild turkeys, and California quail on it as well.

10. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I use gamebird finisher and give more oyster shells mixed in. I can't find flock raiser in pellets and crumbles wastes too much feed.

Your feed store should be able to order some for you​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by