Flock Raiser

Not to change gears on this thread too much, but a quick question for all. I just bought a bag of Purina Layena as I've used up the Start & Grow, but I was also looking at the Flock Raiser as well. I've seen some people say the higher protein content of the Flock Raiser is actually better for laying hens than the Layena. I suppose the best case would be if they made 25lb bags and I would just buy one of each and mix them up. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Quote:
I'm glad you posted this question. I was going to do it myself. I have chickens ranging in age from 3 days up to 1 year and have been trying to develop strategies for keeping different feeds separate so the chicks get what they need and the 3 months old get theirs, etc. And anyone who has ever tried to keep a chicken from eating from one particular feeder, knows how well that usually works out.
he.gif
They just try doubly hard to get to it! I think I'll pick up some of the Flockraiser. Thanks for the post!

Quote:
You can buy those 50 lb bag of each and dump both side by side, pulling up as you go and when you go to scoop the feed, do it cross wise that you get a bit of Layena and bit of flock Raiser, that is what I did. They have done well too!

Thanks t o all. In order to find the Purina Flock Raiser, I went to the company name and asked for a locator because the closest Tractor Supply is 45 mi. away. Located a farm supply 8 miles away and I'm going there now! Changing both my hens and my chicks to it. When moms raise their own chicks there are problems with the way the medicated starter feed is separated and the one mom is laying so can't eat those eggs.

I couldnt find it when I started out so I get Game Bird Flyer/Finisher and offer oyster shell. Now I see Tractor Supply is carying Purina Flock Raiser but I only pay $11 for 50 pound of Game Bird at my local feed mill as opposed to $16 for 50 lb of Purina at Tractor Supply

So I have chicks ranging from almost 14 weeks (which I guess I should call pullets now,lol) down to 2 weeks old. Everyone was on medicated chick starter. It's time to wean my older ones off, but they are not ready for pellets. I did some reading and Flock Raiser sounded like my best bet. It will feed everyone, even the rooster. So I got a 50lb bag today. At $14.99 it's not a bad deal!

Does anyone else feed Flock Raiser? How do you like it?
Wow! That's an awesome price compared to our TSC. Yesterday I saw Flock Raiser by Purina for $17.99 at my Tractor Supply.

Back
Top Bottom