Flock size?

BirdOfPray

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 29, 2010
I was just wondering if there's an ideal flock size, or at least a minimum flock size for chickens to be happy and healthy. I know a lot of animals do best with others of their own kind (we always had more than one horse, for example, sine they're herd animals and more comfortable with company) and then some are indifferent. Where do chickens fall on that spectrum?

Thanks again!

I would have at least 3 chickens. They do much better with a chicken friend, and 3 is a good number JUST in case you lose one (never know) and then the other chickens won't be alone
smile.png
So I like a minimum of 3 which is what I started with... Now I have 5... BE PREPARED FOR MORE lol

Last edited:
I started with 6. It was a good number until I lost one to a predator, and then had one go chronically broody. I still had 2-4 eggs a day, but I didn't have many eggs to give away, so I got more birds...then more birds. And then... you know how it goes. Chicken math.

First, you need to decide how many will go in your coop... IF you haven't built it yet...build it twice as large as you think you will need.. Chickens need at least 4sq ft of coop space each and at least 10 sq ft of run space each... if they are standard size a little less if they are bantam.. So you can have as many as you can afford to feed and house comfortable..

I would never have less than 5 chickens.. Then they can have at least two mini-'flocks' and no one has to be alone... And remember--birds of a feather do flock together..I always see my 2 RIR together, my BO together and my Barred rock goes between the two mini flocks... I have just added two BC Marans and they stay together... When free ranging all the Ameraucanas stay together..

I had five, for most of the year, the predator problem is huge here, was up to ten, and then 8, then these 5 have been pretty sturdy so far.

But my point is that 5 laying hens kept my family of 3-4 (one college kid, not always here, but always willing to take a doz) in eggs easily. I have 3 Red stars, and they are good layers, but my BO have kept up too.

Now I have 9 young growing. Hoping for 4 hens out them. Plan to keep 4 hens (I think they are hens) and one rooster, along with the original 5, just coming two year olds.

Why? When I had more than enough eggs with 5? Chicken math. mk

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom