flock still sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BRYAN662, May 6, 2009.

1. BRYAN662

BRYAN662 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2009
    i have treated my whole flock with tetracycline for a week and they are still coughing. the watery eyes are a little better but they are very congested. it has been raining a lot here and i am sure these wet conditions arent helping. i have culled about 25 of the sickist so far. i really hate to cull my complete flock. 50 more will break my heart. some do not look or act sick and i am still getting about 15 eggs per day. what should i do and do you think the ones that are not sick will be ok?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sadly, Terramycin type antibiotics are very weak and if they have virus, which is likely, no AB will do anything. If it is a carrier disease, you will never get rid of it. In your position, I'd cull ALL who show any symptoms, then disinfect everything, preferably with Oxine or Quaternary ammonia and watch for more symptoms. It may be best to take one for a necropsy to know what you are dealing with so you have some direction. I'm sorry about your flock. [​IMG]

3. Big Chicken Little

Big Chicken Little Chillin' With My Peeps

You have no time for guessing games when your whole flock is at risk!! No antibiotic will help if a virus is involved. Get one to the vet and find out for sure what is wrong and waste no time doing this. I think your problem is beyond the scope of this site. I wish you all the best and sorry you are having this problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by