flock w/possible resp illness?

alpacaEGGS

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 17, 2010
Hello, I have a flock of approx 70 standard Hens, mixed breeds. I recently added 8 young hens, one died about 1 wk later (none seemed ill at anytime) A few days later, I another hen died (approx age 2 yrs) My flock seems subdued with decreased appetites. I hear occaisional "sneezing type" behavior. No diarrhea, or other obvious signs of trouble. Egg production is WAY down. I think my flock has a CHICKEN-COLD!The hens are housed in 2 large coops and have large outdoor runs. Feed is a standard layer crumble, morning corn grains, and usually daily greens/fruit & veg of some sort. Water is pentiful and fresh daily. I've had a flock for about 5 yrs and not experienced illness yet. I would appreciate any help in assisting me with possible treatment. Thank-you all!
D.gif

It sounds like the new hens have brought in an illness. Reread the recent posts about isolating new birds for at LEAST 3 weeks before introducing to an existing flock as it can save a lot of heartache. Your flock may have a mycoplasma illness although that rarely will cause death. It can cause decrease in laying, snicking & sneezing and general unthriftiness. You may also have one of the more serious respiratory illnesses, but it's difficult to say which. Possiblities include infectious bronchitis, coryza & ILT among others. All of these can cause deaths. You may want to research the symptoms of respiratory illnesses in birds & try to figure out which one may be going on with your flock. If possible, it is a good idea to have any dead birds necropsied to determine the exact nature of the illness so you know how to treat. Most states have an avian health program through the Dept of Agriculture that provides these services. BTW, chickens do not get "colds". Tylan is a good choice for many respiratory illnesses & Denagard is a good option for mycoplasmas.

Appreciate your help! I have sacrificed 2 hens today, which will be shipped overnight to our states path lab for necropsy and blood/tissue tests. It's been difficult week dealing with ill birds. I'll post findings here - in hopes that I can help others avoid the mistake I made. I've learned my lesson about the importance of quarantining new birds before adding to the flock. My vet told me today that NONE of the antibiotics used to treat avians have a safe withdrawl date - so if I end up treating the flock, my egg business just busted! Wow...this lesson just keeps getting harder and harder....

Wanted to share the findings of necropsy and lab tests. My flock does indeed have mycoplasma. They also have infectious bronchitis, and e.coli - all of which are specific to chickens and not transmittable to humans. Thank goodness. I've lost several more birds now. And spend several hundred dollars getting answers. Sadly, my flock will have to be depopulated. I've learned a ton, but am sad to lose my chicken friends and my thriving egg biz. A thorough sanitizing wash of the coop is also in the plan, as well as a 6 month "No Chickens" period to allow the winter freeze to kill off any lingering germs. I hope to start fresh in spring. Thanks for your help!
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom