Flock with probable MG infection... how to proceed?

What you must do is gain all the knowledge you can, figure out exactly what disease you are dealing with (many diseases mimic others), then learn your options, choose the best one for you, one you can live with on a daily basis, with all its ramifications.

I researched chicken diseases before I ever got the first chick. I also decided my course of action should any ever come down with something contagious. Thankfully, we have practiced the best common sense biosecurity we can (no hazmat suits, though some probably think we have them, LOL) and have kept contagious disease out in the almost 7 years we've owned chickens, but because no one can see a germ, the day may come when a one sneaks in somehow. But we are armed with the knowledge and our previously made decision and will stick to it, sad as it will be.

I do sell chickens from time to time as well as hatching eggs and I will not knowingly pass on some disease to someone else's flock and cause heartache like we've seen here in Emergencies.

Last edited:
A couple months ago, I introduced some seemingly healthy 6 week old chicks into the flock. One week later, one of my hens came down with a pretty severe case of Mycoplasma. I know it was/is Mycoplasma, as I took her to the bird vet for testing.

I used Tetracyline (Duramycin) from the feed store, per guidance of the bird vet, for two weeks. It took the full two weeks for the hen to be clear of symptoms, though she improved a lot after 3 or 4 days or treatment. I had her isolated in a bathroom for monitoring and to keep the antibiotics only to her. One other hen showed mild symptoms, but nothing severe enough to bring her inside. After two weeks, my symptomatic hen had recovered and I reintroduced her to the flock. All of my hens are now asymptomatic.

Per instructions of the vet, I waited one month after completion of antibiotic treatment to eat eggs. I did not treat the other hens who showed no symptoms or mild symptoms, so I continued to eat their eggs. Judging by the egg that my hen laid after her antiobiotic regimen, not eating eggs is a very wise move.

We stuck with Tetracycline to treat, as vet recommends that we leave other antibiotics in reserve, in case there's another outbreak.

I opted not to cull and to manage this Mycoplasma. I do not sell chickens or eggs or hatch. To date, this is working for me. It was very stressful when I had a symptomatic hen, but now we are now healthy and I"m hoping that future outbreaks aren't too severe or frequent.

Last edited:
You can do a swab and send it in to who ever I. Your area does the testing. You'll know then what you have. You need to start from there. Just, if you decide to keep a closed flock, you will need to keep separate shoes for feed store runs. No friends with chickens should ever go in your chicken run/yard, or you theirs. You will need to make a conscience effort to keep other peoples chickens safe from yours.

I think you read through my previous posting about parasites.and my suspected respiratory diseases. I would contact your state vet lab and take in one or two for necropsy.

Okay, I'll do some research and find a vet who will test my birds to confirm MG. Do their symptoms sound like it could be parasites/worms? I hadn't even thought of that as a possibility. Is there a way to test for worms without necropsy? I'd hate to sacrifice a bird, but if one does die from the disease I'd definitely have it tested.

I'll definitely be careful about cleanliness in the coop/run, and make sure to have specific 'coop shoes' to keep the disease from spreading. We already have strict hand washing rules, but the shoe thing is good to note.

You can take a poop sample to most vets and they can tell you what worms you are dealing with. Worms don't cause respiratory issues. More intestinal and general draining of the birds health. I doubt your chicks have worms at their age. It is usually advised to start worming the first fall of having your birds. And then every fall during a molt you can treat them as well in the future, as they don't lay eggs during molts.

Even if they do not have MG, it is still advised to run antibiotics thru them. Even if they are carrying a virus, there is always secondary infection present with respiratory issues and could be contagious.

My birds were parasite infected at under 12 weeks and were coughing and thin and getting malnourished from the parasites taking their toll. Necropsy confirmed it. I was sure that they had some sort of respiratory issue like MG but once they were treated properly for the parasites and with antibiotics, then probiotics and TLC they were fine.
As soon as chicks start to eat off the ground they can pick up parasites. If you read through my link that is in my signature line you will find lots of information.

Update with my decisions:

I've decided to treat the flock with abx, and chalk this up to lessons learned. I'm looking for a vet to do MG/parasite testing (difficult in a suburban setting-- I may have to widen my search radius and drive out to the country). The chicks are on day 5 of the duramycin and are doing great-- no more wheezing, only one has slight nasal discharge, and facial swelling is all gone. I'm hoping that I can keep them healthy and happy enough to ensure that I don't see any relapses. When it comes time to replace this flock, I'll make sure to get day-olds ONLY from a MG-negative source and keep my flock closed from the start.

Thanks so much for all the input!

Back
Top Bottom